Chick moults

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Time-Out, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    I have read that some birds don't 'wear' their full colour until their third moult. I know adult chickens moult on average once a year, but how about chicks? Do they moult a couple of times before they are adults? Or is it once a year again. I'm just wondering when I'll be able to know if my birds' colour is good or below par. [​IMG]

2. djennings

djennings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Sabine Pass, TX.
    I don't believe chicks moult

3. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Chicks do 1 full molt and then 3 partial molts before they grow in their adult feathers.

4. Time-Out

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Over what sort of time period?

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I'm still seeing chick moulting with some of my 19-weekers but the 20-weekers all appear to be done. As I understand it, they are finished or nearly finished when they start to lay and then will lay for a period of time ranging from a few months to well past a year before taking a break for their first major adult moult.

6. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    When do chicks get their first set of feathers? Mine have wing feathers but their bodies are still fluffy (5 weeks today). I also noticed their necks are looking a bit rough.

7. Time-Out

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    I think that depends on the temps the birds are kept at. Mine will be 5 weeks Monday. They're almost fully feathered on the outside, but still have some fluff under their wings and a few bits on their necks. The only heat they get is when I decide I'm chilly and turn the thermostat up on the heating.

For the Vorwerk, when they say they reach their full colour by their third moult, I'm guess that will be years then. I can't imagine it being the little moults chicks go through.

8. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Ours are kept outside, temp is 80ish during the day and 67-70 at night.

9. LovinChicknFarmn

LovinChicknFarmn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    North Carolina
    Our first set feathered out as tiny chicks and that was the first big change. Then they kind of finished out feathering, so they changed a bit over a month or so time period. Finally they had a mini molt around three months or so and after that they were their "adult" coloring. I haven't seen any real changes since that molt of sorts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by