Chick Murder!

karenmragan

Songster
Jul 12, 2019
Grand Junction, CO
Hello everyone, to fill you in I have a couple of broodies sitting together and they just hatched three chicks yesterday. Well the nest they chose happens to be one of the favorite of the flock. I did not seal it off because I figured the moms would shoo away any other hens.

I come in there a few hours into the morning and one of the other hens (non-broody) is pecking one of the chicks. I quickly shooed her away and picked up the chick. It was still alive but seemed to have a broken neck. I was horrified.

Can anyone explain this strange behavior? What can I do to prevent this from happening? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Are your broody hens still sitting on their remaining eggs, or are they "parenting" their chick? If they are still interested in hatching the remaining eggs, they may not be ready to get off their nest and start guarding and teaching the chick.

Block off the nest area, one thing is never to let them nest in laying boxes , especially when it's the favorite box. I made a separate area away from the laying boxes for the hens to brood and also did a Dog kennel one as had 2 at one time go broody. the nice thing about the dog kennel one it is easier to keep the others outta her area and away from the chicks. They are able to see and talk to the flock so they don't really loose their spot in the flock.

Are your broody hens still sitting on their remaining eggs, or are they "parenting" their chick? If they are still interested in hatching the remaining eggs, they may not be ready to get off their nest and start guarding and teaching the chick.
Yes they are still on their remaining eggs. I think I might just move one of them to mom duty and have the other one finish the hatch.

Block off the nest area, one thing is never to let them nest in laying boxes , especially when it's the favorite box. I made a separate area away from the laying boxes for the hens to brood and also did a Dog kennel one as had 2 at one time go broody. the nice thing about the dog kennel one it is easier to keep the others outta her area and away from the chicks. They are able to see and talk to the flock so they don't really loose their spot in the flock.
18-09.jpg Great idea, I'm still learning and I appreciate your help!

Back
Top Bottom