chick-n-barn maintenance question (for those that have them)

Wanda

Songster
12 Years
Jan 7, 2008
Pennsylvania
I have a chick-n-barn that I have had for 1 1/2 yrs but it has always been kept in a protected area (my porch) I am getting another one this weekend from someone on craigslist (150 for barn and yard, couldn't pass it up) this one will have to go outside and since I read that the weather takes a toll on them (mostly posted by people that don't have them) would like to hear from the people that do have them how they are holding up and if you do anything to help them stay in good shape (i.e. coat them with sealer).

thanks,
Wanda

yep I second that Thompson's is great you might set it on blocks to be off the ground if you want but then you have to add lattice or wire around it cause they will get under and lay and escape.
big_smile.png

Hi Wanda

I have one. Got it this spring and it is only about 1/3 sheltered under overhang from roof. Its backed against back porch and raised up 3". I did put a wood sealer on the roof/lids because I don't believe it will last thru much of WI winters and rain. I will move it in a shed this weekend so weather will not be an issue. But I planned on repeating it yearly. My first plan was to put some kind of shingles on the roof/lid....did not do it because I decided it was not going to be a permanent outdoor coop. One thing I can tell you though, the lids warp quickly. If you can, I would maybe have a run big and tall enough to place some kind of roof over it.

thanks for the suggestions. It is going to be a "day" shelter for 2 hens, they will come back in at night. I will definitely use the Thompson's on it. I have cinder blocks I was going to set it up on so it wouldn't be on the ground it does have a floor that is coming with it that the other people made. The kennel with a cover is a good idea but I'm also wondering if tiling the lids would keep them from warping. I noticed on the critter-cages site that the newer barns are coming with roof tiles and maybe that is way.

Wanda

Back
Top Bottom