Chick n Barn or pastic pre fab building

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RebelsHope, Aug 20, 2007.

1. RebelsHope

RebelsHope Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    I am looking into what to put the chicks into in a few weeks. I first thought of a little playhouse, but one household member said it was too close to the house . . . tough, I still may use it. I am thinking of having two places now.

I have seen the chick n barn and saw how one member modified it and that looks pretty cool. Is it really bit enough for 10 chickens? I don't know if I can get someone to build the modification right away so I may have to have in on the ground for awhile.

That is one thought

The other is an about 8x8 foot storage shed from Home Depot. It has a plastic floor and in fact the whole thing is plastic. It does have a window on either side and it has a strip of light plastic on the top so it does let some light in. I am worried about ventilation in the winter and keeping it cool in the summer.

Any comments or suggestions?

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Where are you located? In cold weather, not a good idea going with plastic. Wouldn't keep your chickens warm during the cold winters! If you don't want to spend on a new shed, check out your paper for give aways or craigslist. Or put an ad in the paper yourself! There are alot of good ideas in the coop desing section of BYC.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Wood is always better, IMO. Metal gets very hot in the summer and plastic won't stay warm in the winter, plus you'd have to modify them for ventilation anyway. If you don't build it yourself, I'd go with a wooden one over the others. And the Chick n Barn seems very high priced to me, but then we scavenge wood from constuction site dumpsters and build everything ourselves.

4. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    I have the chick-n-barn myself, and it's OK but not worth the money. There's no floor so anything can burrow in unless you modify it, and it is pretty small. I would think 4-5 standard chickens would be comfortable but no more. I'm using mine as temprary housing while I build a bigger, safer coop.

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    About the Chick-N-Barn & Yard...do you have Standards or Bantams?

We have a modified Chick-N-Barn/Yard and without modification it will "supposedly" be enough for 10 Bantams, if I remember correctly. We're using ours as a temporary set-up ( for 21...14 week old Banties) as we're trying to finish our main chicken yard and keep running into major issues.

Please feel free to e-mail me, okay!

Dawn

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I do have a vinyl shed from Royal Outdoor sheds and they work great. I dont think that shed from Home Depot would be a problem as long you do some modifications such as screen the windows, installing a fan and the door would be taken down and you would need to build a wired screen doors for more vents....works for me quite well. I love cleaning it, it was a snap!Once I clean out the bedding, I just take a hose to it and scrub brush with soap to the walls....and you can put in some DE in there too. Unlike wood, you dont have a problem with lice or mites going into the plastic if you do a good preventive maintaince job on it. Not a problem in the winter since the walls were insulated as stated by Royal Outdoor.....worth the price too. I had only five birds in there and it was WARM!

I got a 4 x 7 shed and when finances are possible, I will be looking into getting a bigger shed by the same company 10 x 12. I have horse rubber mats for flooring, its great!

7. RebelsHope

RebelsHope Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    Thanks for the info and tips everyone.

My problems is that I am not a "we" I am an "I". I don't have someone to help me do any thing. If I try to build something I have to build it on my own and I really don't know how to.

Ewesheep: It maybe the Royal Outdoor shed, that sounds like what I want to get. Screen door. . . hummm. that would be an idea. . . do you have pictures of how you did it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by