Chick-n-Hutch...newbie to chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChandlersChickens, Jun 11, 2008.

1. ChandlersChickens

ChandlersChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Delphos, OH
    My daughter brought home 2 chicks from school...they are now about 3 weeks old.

I just put together my chick-n-hutch today and realized that the wire flooring prevents the chickens from having any bedding on the floor. Is this a problem?? The wire flooring is plastic coated so it's not like they are walking on wires, but I have pine shavings and they just fall right through the floor. I'm just wondering how the chickens are going to be comfortable laying on that. I have not transferred them to the hutch yet...just trying to get prepared before I do!

Here is a picture of it....plus one of my daughter with one of the chicks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Me, I would buy some cheap linoleum tiles, and put them down over the wires. Clean up fast, and no falling through. Cute chick and kid!!!! Steph

Oh, and Welcome to BYC!!!!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've got a couple of hutches that I use for chicks or isolating birds for whatever reason. I use a cat's litter box to hold some shavings.

4. ChandlersChickens

ChandlersChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Delphos, OH
    Thanks for the input! Maybe I should have bought 2 nesting boxes [​IMG] They will only be using this to sleep in pretty much. I ordered a pen too that attaches to the hutch...plus we have a small fenced in area that they can roam around in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by