1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chick-n-hutch question need help

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by macbryant, Dec 21, 2008.

1. macbryant

macbryant Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2008
    I just put together my chick-n-hutch and i was wondering if anyone had this one and about where to put my nest box. I bought a plywood one and i was just wondering about where to place it in this model. Thanks alot and i appreciate your help. I will be getting 2 RR on monday

2. ChandlersChickens

ChandlersChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Delphos, OH
    The nest is supposed to go in the back where the little door is for collecting eggs. I bought a plywood nest for the hutch also and just set it by that little door. I had 2 chickens in the chick n hutch and they got too big for it so I ended up getting them a bigger coop. They never even used the nest I put in there.

I just use it for a brooder now.

3. macbryant

macbryant Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2008
    did u put in on the ground or up a liitle

4. ChandlersChickens

ChandlersChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Delphos, OH
    I just had the nest on the floor of the hutch. There wasn't much room to put it up because I also had the roost installed. You probably could put it up some....I would put something sturdy under it to support it if you decide to do that.

5. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Hi Mac - I have that same one. It has legs that about 6/8" or so right? I placed a few bricks under the legs so the wood wouldn't be on the ground. And the nest box goes in front of the little back door, although I always just lifted the top of the hutch to collect the eggs and clean up after the night's pooping.

It was a good little coop for the first two hens I had and I now use it for a spare, as I finally got a bigger coop and run. It will be home for the new little chicks in the Spring.

I did have to reinforce things with that hutch, though.

6. orchidchick

orchidchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    south florida
    That was my first coop while my chicks were growing up. I thought I had reinforced everything with extra hardware cloth, etc, but watch that door! I lost one chick to a raccoon even though it was wingnutted down as tight as I could get it. He managed to swing it open just a couple of inches and yank her through. I knew it was a coon because I had sprinkled DE all around the coop and the nasty varmint's prints were on on the back by the door. Needless to say, hotwire went up the next morning!

I used the nest box right on the floor, and that is where they (the remaining 3) laid their first eggs (right next to the golf balls!) I still use that nest box in their new coop now. Although I do have some new chicks (4) in the Chicknhutch right now (in the garage...) so I have an exterior new dual nesting box that I need to replace the single..and maybe expand the run.........Geeesh, I gotta get going!

Have fun!
    Orchidchick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by