Chick names??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Princess Lay-a, May 25, 2010.

1. Princess Lay-a

Princess Lay-a Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Great Falls
    I was planning on having only 14 or so chicks at first, now it's 52! [​IMG]
    We are getting 2 Polish since we wanted a breeding pair of ornamentals. I'm naming those Othello (Straight black Polish) and Desdemona (Buff and Cream Lace Polish).
    My 6 year old, Raffi is bound and determined to have one chicken named "Clucky"! [​IMG]
    Out of 50 I'm sure we'll find the bird that fits the name.
    When you have so many, do you name or not?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have 20 birds (18 chickens and 2 ducks) and they're all named. There are four more in the brooder which I just bought this past Sunday. Until they show me what their personalities are like, I won't name them. (The only chicken I named right away was the RIR - she HAD to be called Rhoda.)

The last two sets of chicks I've gotten have had straight run bantams, Silver and Gold Sebrights, so the two eldest are Alice and Georgia, which can be changed to Alex and/or George if they turn out to be cockerels. I've got two more Sebrights, so the names kinda have to be changeable like that. And I do wait a bit to make it more likely the name I've chosen fits their sex; sexing chicks is only 90% accurate. Hence my accidental roo, Carl (who started out as Carly).

3. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    We ( the kids and myself ) named all of ours we have 4 barred rocks out of them 1 is a rooster who we named Mr Grey from Dream catcher movie cause when you look at him he looks at you with an evil look like he is planning something . Mr Grey in the movie was an alien thing that was trying to take over the world this is what my rooster looks like to us lol. Like he is planing on doing something.........and we imagine him with a British accent lmbo.

The other 3 girls are Rickie, Max, and Floe like from finding Nemo cause well she don't look like she has all her chicken brain cells. Kind of like Floe in Finding nemo. She stands around looking like DUH and when she first saw her reflection in the glass she acted as if she was having a conversation with her self. It was funny.
    Rickie and Max were named by my 2 youngest children Rickie was named after ricky ricardo from I love lucy max was named after Maxine the cartoon comic.

Then I have 3 bantams named Chandler Phoebe and Chaos
    Chandler and Phoebe are sort of obvious if you watch tv show friends.
    Chaos is named this because he goes around pecking everyone and every bird in the head he just acts really crazy.

Then we have 2 ducks named Jelly Bean and Rupert.....
    Mostly we like to see their behavior before naming them or just name them after people we like.

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    My favorite WCBP was named Pulletta. She's walk around talking to me all day of I let her. If I ever get one that reminds me of her I'm using that name again.

5. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    We've got about 70 bantams and they are all named - I can only remember the ones that have had some real need for us to intervene through illness or whatever or if they are particularly pretty or distinctive.

My daughter names them all and seems to be able to remember who is who from the tinest detail... There has to come a point where even she can't remember their names. I'm already at the point where I often forget my daughters name !!!!!

6. Toi-toi

Toi-toi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Central MA
    I named all my chicks but only have 6 chicks.

7. volchick

volchick Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    We have five chicks that all hatched on different days so right now I'm calling them Thursday, Friday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. I'm thinking for boys... Popeye, Zax, Harland Sanders, Kenny Rogers, or Truett [​IMG]

My kids and husband named our hens and rooster. They are: Bob, Muffin, Anna, Annabelle, Savannah Serena Ballerina (yes, that's all one name!), and Latifah (that one was dh's doing...).

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  8. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    I'm gonna name mine 1 through 50. When they get older they will get leg-bands so that I can tell who is who.

9. Toi-toi

Toi-toi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Central MA
    Quote:Where do you get leg-bands??

10. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Quote:Where do you get leg-bands??

There are numerous places to get them. Here is just an example.

http://www.randallburkey.com/searchprods.asp

EDIT: Evidently can't link directly. Go to randallburkey.com and type leg bands in the search box. There about 5 pages of them.

Last edited: May 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by