Chick-napped!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sjisty, May 20, 2011.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I have had eight broody hens over the last few weeks. I usually let them sit on a couple of eggs, unless I have something in the incubator that I want them to hatch.

In my partridge Brahma pen
    Hen #1 hatched one of her two eggs about 10 days ago. The other one was not fertile. She and chick are doing fine.
    Hen #2 squashed a newly hatching chick. Two more eggs under her were not good, so I have been trying to break her by placing her off the nest every day and changing hay, etc.
    Hen #3's two eggs are due to hatch this weekend.
    Hen #4 had one egg and broke it.
    Hen #5 hatched her one egg day before yesterday.

Just now I went outside to give everyone their daily treat. Hen #5 came running with the rest - no baby! I prepare for the worst and start looking. Lo and behold, baby is now under hen #2, who is clucking like such a proud mama!

In other coops,

Hen #6 (Jersey Giant) has two eggs due to hatch any day
    Hen #7 (Black Copper Marans) won't let me near, so there's no telling what she has!
    Hen #8 - another funny one. She is our first ever chicken, a banty, and she lays in a flower pot on a shelf in front of our storage shed! She's sitting on 9 eggs and has raised many of my Brahmas over the last four years!

2. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    I thought this story was gonna be a bad one. I was thinknig to myself "who steals a chick?". Glad you have a nice broody

3. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Update - I just went out to feed and water, and the chick is back with his original mom, so I just this little guy now has two mothers!

4. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by