Chick newbie - watery stools please advise! UPDATE seizures?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lceh, Apr 5, 2009.

1. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I picked up my first chicks at TSC yesterday. They are about 5 days old. One of the EEs was smaller than the others and had a bad pasty butt. After cleaning up yesterday she had a big -- normal-looking -- poop and started eating and drinking. This morning I saw her poop and it was basically diarrhea. I also saw her swallowing as if she had water in her throat (which she didn't), and a bubble came out of her mouth. Other than that she seems to be acting perky enough. No one else is having a problem as far as I can tell. They are on medicated starter and I'm cleaning out the water and changing the paper towels regularly. What should I do now? I am VERY anxious to keep anyone else from getting sick -- if she is sick -- as I have 17 day-olds coming in the mail this week and they'll be in the same brooder. On the other hand I don't want to go crazy medicating everyone if it's not warranted. Please advise! Should I isolate this chick to keep the others safe?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Hi there. Cocci is caused by a protozoa that lives in dirt. It's pretty unlikely that your babies have even seen dirt, much less ingested enough to get & significantly develop cocci.

Take a deep breath - it's ok! [​IMG]

Remember that these are babies and that their brand new systems are just getting going. It's far more likely that she drank a lot of water before she'd had that much food. I'm willing to guess she's OK. Keep an eye on her & watch for symptoms just in case.

But I bet she's fine.

3. lceh

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I had to leave for church before I got a response, so I set up her own little box and cleaned out the brooder before I left. I just got home and she was chirping away, and while I looked at her she had a perfectly normal poop. Guess it's back into the brooder for her. Thanks for the encouragement. You sound like my pediatrician [​IMG]! Gotta get those anxious mom nerves in check.....

4. lceh

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I did put that chick back into the brooder, and it's been eating, drinking, and acting pretty much fine -- EXCEPT twice now (that I've witnessed), the chick will suddenly fall on its side, one of its legs stretched out and twitching, and struggle like crazy on its back or side, unable to get up. Both times I've thought, okay, it's dying, but after a few seconds it gets up and stands there, trembling all over. After a minute or two it seems back to normal. This last time (a few minutes ago) the other chicks came over and started pecking at it as it struggled on the ground. I put her in a shoe box in the brooder with a soft cloth and small dishes of food and water hoping to keep her from getting picked on if she had another episode. Well, the chick HATES it. She's peeping loudly and even trying to flutter over the side of the box to get back to the others. What should I do? What's causing these weird fits? Every time I go down there I expect to find her dead, and she's fine.
    UPDATE I just went down there and the little stinker got herself out of the box. Should I let her stay with the others?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by