1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick not acting right

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AprilW, Nov 29, 2011.

1. AprilW

AprilW Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    north Georgia
    I brought home a trio of Silkie/Showgirl chicks on Saturday that are about 10 weeks old. All were in pristine condition until yesterday when one of the Showgirls started acting "off". She has her feathers fluffed, she keeps her head/neck in close but upright. She eats and drinks just fine, but isn't as active or robust as her mates. I'm already in love with all of them (they're mostly for pets, although the breeder suggested we try showing in the future) and so I don't want to lose this one. Is there anything I can do? What sort of illness does this sound like?

By the way, the breeder had been keeping the chicks outdoors and putting a lamp on them at night. I bring them in at night as I don't have electricity run to the shed my birds/rabbits are in. I have had them in all day today because we had a sudden drop in temperature which they're not accustomed to.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  2. Creed Bennett

Creed Bennett Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    Well speaking from experience you need to quarantine the sick bird ASAP. That's about all I can tell you. I'm sure someone will come along shortly with medical advice.

3. ILOVELEGHORNS

ILOVELEGHORNS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Awwww....She must be stressed. So many changes. Chickens are very stressed animals. I would separate her unless that terrifies her, stressing her out even more. Put her under a heat lamp, give electrolyte vitamin solution. Should jumpstart her in no time if it is only the stress. If that doesnt help, veteranarian assistance would be the best advice.

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    sounds like it could be cocci. Different soils have different strains of cocci. I would start her on Corid. Has it been wet were you are? Wet soil can increase the oocytes. The earlier you start the better chance of recovery.

5. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Have you got any Apple Cider Vinegar? ACV is acidic and this acidicy means ACV is a mild anticeptic and will kill a number of germs. In addition to this it is claimed to act like a mild antibiotic. Its full of vitamins & minerals. It has been proven to help with stress which is one of the main contributors in there immune system lowing and letting in diseases. Use for 1 week per month. Tracy [​IMG]

6. AprilW

AprilW Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    north Georgia
    Thank you for the replies everyone. I lost her the day after I posted. I'm really bummed about it. [​IMG] The other two chicks are still doing well which I'm happy to report.

7. sunnydalefarms

sunnydalefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Sturgeon, MO
    Aww, so sorry to hear that [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by