Chick not doing so well

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SunflowerTheBun, Apr 14, 2017.

1. SunflowerTheBun

SunflowerTheBun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.
    Hi all,

Just noticed this morning that my little silkie chick (not sure of gender yet but isn't particularly young) isn't doing so well. They were putting their head down, eyes closing, and I noticed poopy feathers around the butt. I picked them up but I need to again to get a better look to see if it's pasty butt. My chickens have suffered from mites/lice (not sure which) before but they get dusted as soon as I notice and I didn't see any on any of the chooks this morning as they were dusted not long ago.

Opinions anyone?
    Sunny

2. Bantamz

Bantamz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2014
    my house
    I have this exact same problem with my sebright chick. Clean its a butt with a wet q-tip. If you dont have any antibiotics in their water yet i think you should.
    Good luck

3. SunflowerTheBun

SunflowerTheBun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.
    Thanks, I'll have another look and see if I can find any other problems. But I'm not sure what's wrong so should I really be adding antibiotics?

4. Bantamz

Bantamz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2014
    my house
    If you want to if you do dont add alot. It is your choice. It could help prevent other diseases. Talk to the people selling the antibiotics they could advise you on what you should do

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by