Chick not eating, drinking or pooping

jsayles86

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 4, 2011
Danville, NH
I am new to raising chickens. Six days ago I purchased 10 chicks from 2 breeders. Things were fine till yesterday when one chick was listless. She was not moving, eating, drinking or pooping. We made up an electrolyte solution and dropper fed her till she fell asleep. Later I also made up a molasses solution and dropper fed her that just incase she was constipated. She perked up a lot and walked a little, but still will not eat. As a last resort I gave her a warm Epsom salt bath, dried her off and put her under the ecoglow to keep her warm. I do not know what else to do. She does not have pasty butt, she looks fine, but will not eat or drink on her own.
Any ideas, advice?

Judy

Crowing
Premium member
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
South Georgia
I'm sorry. If you have 9 healthy looking chicks and this one, chances are good that you just got one with some genetic problem, or perhaps some trauma occurred during hatch, etc. Unfortunately, it happens. You might find this article interesting.

jsayles86

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 4, 2011
Danville, NH
Thank you. The articles were very informative and also a little overwhelming for the newbies like me. The chick is comfortable, but he is no longer interested in drinking from the dropper. There doesn't seem to be much I can do at this point. I hope the remaining chicks will be OK.

Latest posts

Top Bottom