1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick not eating, not opening eyes, generally lethargic.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brandislee, Aug 20, 2011.

1. brandislee

brandislee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    2 day old broiler chick, smaller than the other chicks

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Chick is totally lethargic, doesn't react to stimuli, moves very little, doesn't open eyes even when I pick her up.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    Since yesterday morning- I thought she would be gone within the hour, but she's holding on!

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    Lost one other chick from a different brooder without any obvious warning yesterday evening. All other chicks are perky, healthy, and eating

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No other signs- no blood or bloody stool or anything I can tell. If anything, the skin around the eyes looks a little blue

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Every hour or so I pick her up and dip her beak into the water- I put some raw ACV in the water as I don't have any vitamins on hand. She hasn't eaten any that I have seen.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    No poop at all that I have noticed near her or on her bum.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Nothing other than making her drink every hour or so.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    Call me calous, but I don't think it's helpful to involve a vet in the care of a two day old broiler chick- they usually die too quickly if they're ill. But I will try anything in my power to help, as she seems to be fighting and lasting far longer than I expected.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    They are in the garage in dog crates. The crates were cleaned prior to use, and are used almost exclusively for chickens (although I had two kittens in the one this chick is in recently). The bedding is pine shavings.

Other info- I struggled with this a little, but I have not isolated this chick. Since there were no signs that this is coccidosis (so far as my uneducated eye can tell) and if it is Merek's it's too late, I figure the poor little chick deserves to be surrounded by the warm little bodies of it's brothers and sisters. I also figure if there is a chance for this chick to recover it is more likely if it has physical contact with others- like preemies who have lots of physical contact recover better and faster. I realize this is a risk.

Thanks in advance!

2. brandislee

brandislee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    I also want to add that in my limited experience with chicks the other chicks often avoid another chick that is sick, but the other chicks in this case are not... there are always two or three other chicks snuggled up next to it, and when I stick my hand in to give her a drink they peck my hand like they're trying to defend her. It's another part of the reason I haven't isolated her, and I take it as a sign there may be hope if I can get her some food. Should I try to feed her some egg yolk or something???

Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by