Chick not eating or drinking, sleepy-HELP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Suburban Simplicity, May 1, 2011.

1. Suburban Simplicity

Suburban Simplicity Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    My 6 week old BO spent yesterday & last night in the coop. This was her first time sleeping without controlled heat. She has either been outside w/ heat lamp or inside. She was locked in the house portion and slept next to her 7wk old "sister". Outside temp in So Cal was about 50+ degrees last night.

This morning she jumped out of the house, ready to start the day but I have not seen her eat or drink today. She walked around & pecked at the ground, but wouldn't join the others at the feeder. She followed her sister chicks around, then sat in the corner of the coop. She also had very watery droppings this morning.

I pulled her aside in the brooder box again with a lamp until the temp warmed up (supposed to be 85 today). Tried giving her cooked egg & a little raw milk but nothing tempted her. Put electrolights in waterer, but she isn't drinking so not sure how helpful that will be. Very lethargic and laying on bottom of brooder.

Any suggestions or helpful advice would be appreciated.

2. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Trying putting some of her food in some hot water to make a mash.

Good luck.

3. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Quote:x2, warm water [​IMG]
    Try making it kind of runny so she could drink it. Do you have a syringe, minus the needle, that you could put it in & dribble in the corner of her mouth? Don't be too forceful. You don't want to drown her.
    You could also try some yogurt. Plain is best but flavored works too.
    You also could try to feed her some foods that are high in vitamins A & K, especially vit. A. She might have a nutrient deficiency.
    Some foods high in vit. A are: broccoli, butternut squash, carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, mangoes & tomato juice.
    If you have any of these veggies, boil them up until they are soft & chop them into bite-size pieces or mash them with a fork.
    Hope this helps her! [​IMG]

4. Suburban Simplicity

Suburban Simplicity Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Thanks for the good ideas. I did run out & buy a tiny dropper at the pharmacy. I held her in my lap, wrapped in a towel & she took some electrolyte water. I tried again 30 min later and she took it again. I will keep trying this to keep her hydrated. I have keifer (liquid yogurt) so I will try mixing it w/ some feed on the next go around. I can do the cooked carrots as well. So worried about her. Still sleeping most of the time or awake sitting in the corner of the box. It's a warm day today & i don't want her to get dehydrated:(

5. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Sounds perfect. Good job.
    I am sure she will come around, especially once you get some food into her. Chickens can be very resilient.
    Please keep me informed on her progress.
    Sure wish it was warm up here. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by