Chick not eating or drinking!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cuckooformarans, Jul 25, 2013.

1. cuckooformarans

cuckooformarans Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2013
    I picked up my order of 26 baby cornish X two days ago. They all looked good at first, but one doesn't seem as well as the others. I noticed she was peeping frantically while all the others were quiet. She gets trampled by the others. Her butt was all caked up with poop. I haven't seen her eat or drink at all. Ive been dipping her beak in powerade, but she still wont eat or drink on her own. I cleaned her butt all up and she seemed content and quiet when I hold her close. Last night I put her in my incubator with some food and powerade/water mixture. She is still alive this morning, but her butt was caked up again. She's not peeping today and I dont see any sign of eating or drinking. She does however seem stronger this morning and is walking around. Im thinking im going to go pick up an eyedropper and pedialyte this morning. Any other suggestions???

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  2. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    It is a good idea to feed cracked corn with the chick feed for the first 3 or 4 days. This helps get their digestive track going just as grit, cracked corn, or crushed oyster shells (added calcium gives you harder egg shells) does for older birds. Hopefully your chick will pull through fine.

[​IMG]

3. cuckooformarans

Jul 14, 2013
    The baby chick has been drinking good with the eyedropper. I still havent seen it drink on its own at all, but have seen it peck around at the food. It's peeping and walking around which I think is a good sign that it's not getting any worse anyway.

4. cuckooformarans

Jul 14, 2013
    Well, yesterday afternoon my baby chick's vent was all plugged up again bad, so I washed it out, and with it a ton of poop came out. After that the chick was finally pooping but still not eating or drinking. It was drinking good with the dropper, but still loosing strength. This morning it was dead. :( I hoped it would make it, but expected it wouldn't.

5. chickydee64

chickydee64 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2013
    oregon
    I am very sorry for your loss..............
    How lucky for that little one to have such a caring person to try and help it.
    Sounds like there was an inside problem that could not be seen.................
    You did a good job.....................[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by