1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick not eating

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Faerie, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Faerie

Faerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I got 6 chicks on Wednesday. Picked them up at the local hatchery. I am feeding them fermented chick feed, and 5 of them are doing great. One seems to not be eating. She is drinking, and seems to be trying to eat, her tongue sticks out the side of her beak when she drinks or tries to eat. She is slower than the other, and seems to sleep more. Is there anything I can do for her?

Michelle

2. FVRM

FVRM Chillin' With My Peeps

She might have cross beak or some other defect. You will have to watch her and take special care of it.

Personally, I let nature do what if needs to do. When sick or weak chicks die it helps keep the genetic pool strong.

3. Faerie

Dec 24, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I watered down some feed and gave it to her with a dropper. I know it will be sad if she dies, but I also don't want to end up with a sick chicken. I am going to let nature take it's course, just was wondering if there was anything I could do.

4. FVRM

FVRM Chillin' With My Peeps

Besides spoon feeding it, I don't really know of anything.

5. alyxl02

alyxl02 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2014
    Yes I would say she has something wrong with her beak. She might have an over-sized tongue. When my chicks hatched, not all of them were eating and I would hold a little pinch of chick starter up to their beak and she would try and peck it and then I would put a little pile of chick starter on the floor and she would eat.

Another thing is that I had all my chicks outside the coop and 2 days old with their mother. I would only do that if you only put around three out at a time but make sure the others are safe with maybe you looking after them. Some chicks have a taste for little bugs their mother might scratch out of the ground.

Good luck :)

6. zoohouseHB

zoohouseHB New Egg

Feb 8, 2014
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If she can't eat or drink because of a deformed tongue or mouth, it would be most humane to put her out of her misery.

8. Faerie

Dec 24, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    She passed away last night. I am glad her suffering is over.

9. alyxl02

alyxl02 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2014
    Oh sorry about that. Just be happy that she's happy now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by