Chick not energetic.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AtlanticAcres, May 17, 2011.

1. AtlanticAcres

AtlanticAcres New Egg

May 16, 2011
    After a 10 year hiatus we are back growing layers and meat birds. I built a new coop and 20'x30' run for them. We picked up the chicks last tuesday. 12 layers and 30 meat birds.
    The meat birds (30) are doing fine. Initially I had them mixed with the layers but separated them in the coop. We lost 2 layers. One got stuck behind a box and another, which I spent 3 hours with an eye dropper feeding and holding didn't last the night. The coop temp is around 80 at best - no drafts. We are experiencing a very wet and cold spring - been raining continuously for 22+ days. One of the layers is not moving around much. I hand feed it and watered it - after which it seems to have a bit more energy. Been doing this for the last 2 days. It appears to be labouring with its breathing. Feet feel warm compared to the others. What should I do next? Should I isolate it from the others? Need advice here.

Great forum by the way.

AA

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    yes i would definitely separate from the rest....
    i would scramble up some egg yolk and feed it to her and give some POLYVISOL ( no iron) children's vitamins 3 or 4 drops every couple days and see if she comes around....
    hoping she feels better soon [​IMG]
    P.S. [​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sorry about your chick. Not sure there's really anything else to do. There's a great sticky at the beginning of this forum about losing baby chicks.

Good luck.

4. AtlanticAcres

AtlanticAcres New Egg

May 16, 2011
    Thanks all. It is drinking water and chirps when I pick her up. I noticed a large ball below her neck and think this might be her crop... so she might be crop bound. I took her off feed and isolated her.
    She has lots of water and readily accepts it when I give it too her. Hopefully she is not too weak to get it on her own... time will tell. Is this the correct procedure?

Thanks.

PS: we actually has sun today... yahoo!

AA

5. Silkie Sue

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    How is she now?

6. AtlanticAcres

AtlanticAcres New Egg

May 16, 2011
    Still the same at 7am this morning. Her bowel system is moving based on material in the box.
    She did try to move bit this morning.

I am about to check on her in a few minutes.

Thanks.
    [​IMG]

7. AtlanticAcres

AtlanticAcres New Egg

May 16, 2011
    Her crop is non existent. She is moving around a bit. Eyes are bright and she is chirping - calling to others I guess.
    I placed some crumbs in my hand and she ate energetically. I placed about 1/2 teaspoon in the box with her
    and will check on her later tonight. I hope she is on the mend. She doesn't get up much or run around like the other chicks though!

Later...

AA

8. Silkie Sue

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    Sounds promising... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by