Chick not feathering out- Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ImportTheBest, Apr 10, 2017.

1. ImportTheBest

ImportTheBest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    Lex, KY
    My dark Olive Egger chick isn't maturing when it comes to feathering out like the rest. My last one like this (Silver Penciled Rock) died at 3 weeks old despite acting healthy. I'm really worried that Olive will end up the same way. I realize she is only 1 week old and it appears she is growing in size, just not feathering out. The rest have larger wing feathers and starting on tail feathers already. She is also my husband's favorite, the only chick he truly loves! She's inquisitive, energetic, eats, drinks, and her poops look good.

Should I be worried? Should I be dosing her with a drop of nutri drench twice a day for a few days to help her internally?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    What's the temperature in your brooder? Sounds like its too warm

3. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    is she the only egger of the bunch? the wings are starting to feather she may just be going a little slower than the rest. she'll get there if she is acting healthy I wouldn't nutri drench

4. ImportTheBest

May 5, 2012
    Lex, KY
    I have a brown colored olive egger as well and she is as feathered out as the cream legbar and the mystery white chick (possibly White Leghorn????).

We're using the MHP indoors and it was 6 to start, then 5 and now 4. All in the space of 1 week and they have been happily moving in and out the whole time. Ambient temp is 68 or so in the house.

5. ImportTheBest

May 5, 2012
    Lex, KY
    I'll try and take individual pics of all of them in better light asap.

6. ImportTheBest

May 5, 2012
    Lex, KY
    [​IMG]
    Chive - potential brown feathered olive egger

[​IMG]
    Snowball - mystery chick but the biggest by a tiny bit and most feathered.

[​IMG]
    Olive - darker feathered olive egger and the one that concerns me with slower feathering.

[​IMG]

Admiral Ackbar (female despite the name) and possibly the Cream Legbar.

All 3 others are also working on growing tail feathers now. Olive just looks like a bigger version of her baby self from a week ago.

7. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    If everything else seems fine, and she seems healthy, I wouldn't worry too much about it now.
    I have a mixed flock of several different heritage breeds and several different hybrids, and the difference in feathering between breeds can be pretty striking at times.
    And a few days age difference can make a big difference too. (You don't say if they were purchased or hatched by you).
    My first batch of EE chicks I thought were going to be all cockerels because they feathered so different than the others. They were all hens.
    So I would just watch. She may just take a little longer.

8. ImportTheBest

May 5, 2012
    Lex, KY
    Sorry, yes I purchased them and they were shipped same day from Meyer, so they're all the same age.

Okay thanks! I was just so worried that it would be the same issue all over again, only this time with one we've already named and fallen for in a big way thanks to her personality!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by