Chick not feathering out

ChickenMamaSarah

Songster
Apr 20, 2018
Austin, Texas
I purchased some mixed bantam chicks from the local feed store on May 7th so they're now a little over five weeks old. Everyone has feathered out nicely except this one chick. I think it only has maybe four feathers (other than down) on its entire body. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or if something is wrong? I've posted a pic of one of the flock mates for reference (the gold chick.) I have a heat source still available and am keeping this one in the brooder pen, which is outside with the other younger chicks. It's very warm here like 90-100's during the day and upper 70s at night. Other than the failure to feather out, this chick acts totally normal and healthy.
IMG_7892.jpeg
IMG_7894.jpeg
IMG_7893.jpeg
IMG_7895.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7894.jpeg
    IMG_7894.jpeg
    425.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7893.jpeg
    IMG_7893.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 8
My first thought is that it has Silkie type feathering, which is possible if there was some mixed breeding at the hatchery. However, it appears to be a bantam Cochin so it should be gaining some of the soft feathers of the Cochin, though Cochins are often mixed with Silkies for feathering effects.

I wouldn't worry if it is healthy. It may simply be slow feathering. Time will tell if it will gain a hybrid Silkie type feather or will slowly feather out.

Just be sure you have enough protein in the feed for the chicks. Some breeds need a bit more (but you aren't dealing with meat birds so no need for 24% or higher).

My thoughts
LofMc

I emailed the hatchery the chicks came from with pics and they think this one may be a dark Brahma or a penciled Cochin (both bantam). It has light colored skin and doesn’t look like other silkie chicks I’ve had in the past. They’re all getting a chick starter crumble. I’m guessing it’s just a slow featherer. ‍♀️

I've had several like that and they were all bantam cochins. The only downfall was they all ended being cockerals. I currently have one that's already 9 weeks and he still has a lot of fluff.
20190526_183740.jpg
The other 2 in this pic are also cockerals but have way more feathers.

Back
Top Bottom