Chick not getting any bigger??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TN.MamaHen, May 14, 2009.

1. TN.MamaHen

TN.MamaHen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Ok,I tried searching,but I don't have the time or patience to go through the 100 or so pages of it.[​IMG] I got 2 speckled sussex,2 dominickers,and 2 silkies,all the same age,they are 4-5 weeks old now. One of the speckled sussex had poopy butt when I got it,I took the advice gave on here,cleaned her and watched her carefully.She did fine:) ....except she just isn't growing. The others,even the silkies,have tripled her in size.She's about the same size as when I got her.She is getting her feathers like the others,just a tiny little thing.[​IMG] I read something about a slow growth gene,or whatever.Does this happen often?Should I separate her,she eats and drinks fine,and is just the sweetest little thing from all the pampering.[​IMG] I mean I know she's not going to be big enough to go out with the others when the time comes for them to join the big girls. Thanks!![​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Is there a problem besides her size? If she is accepted by the others, I would leave it alone. I might even keep her with them when time came to integrate flocks, with supervision, but I'd be sure the new ones were full grown. She won't want to be isolated if they get along.

3. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    She's probably just a late bloomer but if she's eating and drinking then leave her be but keep a watchful eye on her though

4. TN.MamaHen

TN.MamaHen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Quote:Thanks! [​IMG] No there's nothing wrong,except her size,that I can tell.She acts just like a normal chick.The others in the coop aren't even full grown yet.We tried to have them all around the same age.The bigger ones are 3 months, and these are ofcourse,4-5 weeks.And they accept her just fine.I was just trying to see if this is a common thing or if I should even be concerned? I'm just a bit over protective I guess. lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by