1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick not growing as much as others

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chikenbutwut, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Chikenbutwut

Chikenbutwut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Benton, KY
    I got 6 d'Uccles, all born on the same day (same hatch). Thing is, while the other chicks are growing well and feathering out just fine, this one little chick isn't. It looks like it's about a week old, but it's not, all the chicks are 5 wks. old.

It's eating and drinking just fine and seems healthy in every other way, other than being tiny and feathered like a wk. old chick (still has fuzz).

I got the chicks from the woman at the local co-op. That was the only hatch she had with them.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Thanks!

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Not all chicks will do well, sorry to say. If the beak is normal, and no other obvious deformities can be seen, all you can do is continue to make sure there's enough food available, and no bullying going on. Mary

3. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

Some folks will cull the runts and those with crooked toes and other such physical problems. Others just keep them and deal with it. It is a management style that you will or have developed as to which of these different routes you will take. For me, I have found that the problems seldom if ever get better.

I have a farm background and am able to 'cull', though I dislike doing so very much. There are so many beautiful birds in the world, that to keep something you really don't want and or like, isn't a good choice either. There is no win in this paradox. I feel it is better to deal with problems that are not going to get better, than make the poor animal live a life of disadvantage (the pecking order is brutal) and or pain, because I (the owner) am unable to deal with the problem at hand.

I am not advocating that you dispatch the bird you note by any means. I just from time to time dare to pull the curtain back and speak of what is to many unspeakable. You only need do what is right for you, and I can and will support you in this. I have done so myself… both ways. There are most likely no perfect bird keepers out there. I have intervened when I should not have, and not intervened when I should have. Sadly it is only after these events that I 'got' the experience necessary to hopefully do better down the road. My sense of this small bird, is that you are approaching one or the other of these two events.

You will always, most likely remember your choice here. Birds that fall way behind their brooder mates will likely need special care to the point of needing their own pen. Single birds don't do well. It is as you can or will see, a topic for which there is no logical answer. A true paradox.

Best to you and your birds, all of them,

RJ

1 person likes this.
  4. CollegeChicken

CollegeChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2014
    question!! my little teeeeny runty silky ( now 6 weeks old ) looks to be about two weeks old...she has a very shary pointed beak and is longer than the others ( verging on looking slightly overgrown).....could this have caused her small size/inability to take in as much nutrition? Has anyone seen this before??

5. Chikenbutwut

Chikenbutwut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Benton, KY
    Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. Things have been a bit crazy around here lately.

The chick is actually promised to someone else who is taking the rest of my d'Uccles, but one pullet, which I'm keeping. I've explained the situation to her and she's getting the chicks for free, so I'll let them make the decision on whether to cull or not.

As of right now, the chick still seems to be doing fine, just is quite little. I was just wondering what it was that could cause her to be so little compared to the others.

Thank you so very much for you answers, I appreciate it!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  6. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

There is something called runting/stunting syndrome or it may be a genetic defect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by