Chick Not Growing Properly

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mars13, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Mars13

Mars13 New Egg

Aug 28, 2014
    Greetings to the Wonderful BYC Community!

We are new to chickens and just recently incubated our 2nd successful batch of baby chicks from our eggs. Gratefully all our newly hatched babies (born 2.19.15) are happy and healthy, except for one possible exception. One little chick never seemed to grow, so we keep her inside our house where she remains now. In fact, I hear a slight and happy lilting chirp in the background at the moment.

This sweet baby girl (presumably a female ; ) is happy and seems to have normal and average development except for her size. She is as lively, active and spirited as her mates, yet she looks as if she's only a few days old. She is a mixed breed chicken with a barred mother.

Does anyone have insight or information about a chick like this? She's quite charming and has endeared us all (and she's been quite spoiled as well!)

Thank you for any information you all might have for us.

2. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Could she have any bantam or Serama in her background?

3. Mars13

Mars13 New Egg

Aug 28, 2014
    Hi DylansMom,

That is a great question. She comes from a Barred Rock Mom and mixed Dad (he's an average to large sized rooster). I suppose it's possible the Dad could have Bantam or similar type in his background, yet the trait hasn't expressed itself in any of the other chickens he fathered.

But that could be a possible answer to her tiny stature.

Thanks!

4. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    No Problem, I have a little Serama hen that is not much bigger than a pigeon, but she thinks she is a LF. [​IMG] She hatched a lone chick last year fathered by my SL Wyandotte rooster and that chick is almost as big as a full size SLW, you'd never know how tiny her mom was, so it just occurred to me that you could have the same thing.

5. Mars13

Mars13 New Egg

Aug 28, 2014
    Giggles. Reading your post was almost like trying to comprehend a computer language dialogue. I have SO much to learn!!!

6. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    I'm sorry! [​IMG] Bottom line the rooster was 5x the size of the hen, and their daughter has taken after dad and is about 4x the size of her mom. I could sell her as a Large Fowl and nobody would know mom was one of the smallest chicken breeds there is.

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Or, your chick could just be runty. It happens a lot. I have a chick in my brooder right now that lagged behind for a couple of weeks. While its brooder mates were feathering in, it was still looking like a fluffy, baby chick. Its got feathers now, but its still obviously smaller. But, its active and seems healthy, so I just treat it like all of the other chicks. Mine lost their heat lamp a couple of days ago, and my little runt is doing great :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by