Chick not growing - seems healthy

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ASD Dad, May 16, 2018.

1. ASD Dad

ASD Dad Chirping

Mar 15, 2018
    Upstate, SC
    Hello all. New chicken owner and I have a question/problem (possibly).

We bought 6 chicks from the local farm and feed store. This one is a Cochin (the others are one Australorp and Easter Eggers). The Cochin has literally not grown a fraction of an inch in weeks. The others are easily double/triple the size or larger!

She still has all her fuzz where the others are getting their feathers in. She is still a tiny fluffball.

She is eating, she is drinking, she is chirping, she seems to be pooping just fine (guessing there as she is in with the others). When I put new food and water in she runs Under the others to get to the food and water! She easily fits under their wings.

She loves being held (the others do not!) by anyone in the family. She sleeps next to the others and seems to get along OK. Biggest concern is that she gets run over a lot when the others get excited or agitated. She tries to hide in the corner or behind the feeder. She pops back up and runs along to join them and she sleeps up close to the others.

Anything we can do? The others are getting close to a month old and we'll be trying to integrate them with our bigger birds we got earlier this year. I dont want to try that with the little one. I bet she could try and fit through the chicken wire and I dont want her around our big birds at all.

She is one of my boys favorite birds so hoping she'll be OK.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Great Horny Toads

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Is it a bantam? Some fail to thrive unfortunately, usually from some birth defect that takes a few weeks to do them in.

3. Dr.GarryTTucker

Dr.GarryTTucker Songster

May 1, 2018
    Southeast Texas
    Hmm that’s interesting. I had one do that too I thought it was a male so I called him Willy, Willy Wonka. Cause he was the Runt. About week 10 was when I noticed he a she so he became Willemina. She was literally 2 maybe 3 weeks behind the other in growth, size, molting, combs, finding out bugs were tasty. Sometimes it happens. She is by far my calmest hen that doesn’t mind being picked up.

Hang in there I’m sure he’ll come around. Like bread just let it rest and watch it rise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: