Chick not growing, worried :S

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by samlydia, Aug 25, 2013.

1. samlydia

samlydia Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2013
    England
    Hello,
    i am new to BYC and to chickens in general. We hatched 9 chicks 2 weeks ago and all is going well apart from one chick who doesn't seem to be growing. We have 6 Bantams and 3 Hybrids and the one thats not growing is meant to be a hybrid, but she's so much smaller than the other chicks even the bantams. She eats and drinks as much as the others (we've been watching her) but she doesn't seem to be getting any bigger. Is this normal? will she catch up?
    Also I've noticed today that she seems to be struggling to poop (really pushing with nothing coming out) she had poop stuck around her vent that i have cleaned off, but nothing actually stuck in the vent. Is there anything we can do to help her poop or is this just normal?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated as we are worrying about the little chicky. Thanks

2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Plain Yogurt or adding ACV w/mother to their water can help with intestinal problems. Some do grow slower than others but sometimes there are problems that prevent getting the nutrition necessary. Just keep feeding her and hope for the best.

3. samlydia

samlydia Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2013
    England
    Thanks we've been doing the ACV in the water, and tried plain natural yoghurt but she doesn't eat it... none of them do... tried it with them all as we read its good to give them, we just assumed its something that will grow to like as they get older. But thanks for the advice, good to know that some can just grow slower and we`re not doing anything wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by