Chick not growing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by clayb226, May 10, 2011.

1. clayb226

clayb226 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Missouri
    I had 7 chicks hatch last Monday, so they are a week old. All of them are a lot bigger than when they were born, except one. This one chick is still soo small, hardly moved, and breathes rather shallow. It is alive, but has a hard time with balance, when it walks it uses it's wings to help balance it. I had it isolated for a little bit, when the others picked on it. They no longer pick on it, but it does get stepped on some, but it just gets up moves a little way and lays back down. It eats, drinks, poops, and sleeps a lot. Any ideas would be great, thanks in advanced.

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    are you giving them electrolyte solution in there water, if not it will help them. Make sure the weak one is getting food and water, they may be stopping it from eating. when I got my chicks one was alot smaller and more sleepy, but she is fine now a great layer, just a small hen.

3. clayb226

clayb226 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Missouri
    The chick died this morning. [​IMG]

4. t_4_turtle

t_4_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Oh, I'm so sorry. Darwin’s Natural Selection?

5. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    I am so sorry....we are dealing with the same type of thing. At first I thought she hurt her leg..she peeps constantly..I have 27 chicks and there are about 3 that are the same size..but she never looks stable on her feet. I moved all the leghorns and big chicks to a big brooder and left her with 4 other calm, small chicks...one day a time..I am not sure what will happen here. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by