Chick not Growing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Reaper, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Reaper

Reaper Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Hey ya'll I got a few chicks from a local Ag supply store five are doing great growing as normal. But I have one that has pretty much stopped growing all together no really feather production like the others, alot smaller than the others, I have seperated her from the others because not sure what she has and the others were walking all over her. Could she just be behind the others as far as growth? because other than being smaller she seems healthy walk around eats drinks. any help would be great.

2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    In my last bunch of chicks I had 2 that were VERY slow growers! I kept a close eye to make sure they weren't in danger of being trampled but left them in with the other 6. One grew into a regular size Black Orpington and the other is a smallish Ameraucana Rooster who I call Peanut Roo!

3. Reaper

Reaper Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    thank you for your response I was hoping that it was something like that I will have my wife put her out with the others before they forget about her and start picking on her. she has only been away from the others for two days now but I will make sure she is good.

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

If you can put a divider up in the brooder, but so they can still be together, might be something to consider. I have had this happen with a silkie chick before. Hatched out nice, big healthy squeaker, (loud little thing) but even though it ate and drank, it never grew... I don't know why, it just happens. ALSO had a faverolle/wyandotte pullet do the same thing. She grew well till about 8 weeks old, then quit growing. Her sibling grew huge, but she just didn't. She'd eat, run around outside, but then she started failing. I don't know why, even the vet couldn't find anything physically wrong with her... It just happens...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by