chick not growing????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by five is my dog, Aug 1, 2013.

1. five is my dog

five is my dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    i have a buff orp who is about 7 weeks and shes just as big as when i got her at 4 weeks. her back feathers are just now coming in and before that the skin was bare. under her wings are still bare. today i found her hip had a pretty bad cut. i also found a scab near her wing. she is tiny and im really worried about her. what cold be causing this? i have separated her from her brothers and sisters and from the older flock. she is the brooder with no light and is happy. she is just as energetic as others and eats just as much as them why isnt she growing?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Some chicks are just runts. She could also have something internally wrong with her, but because she acts perfectly normal, I would guess that she is just a runt. I've had two runts before; unfortunately, both died. However, I have heard many stories of runty chicks growing up into big, beautiful birds.

You are doing the right thing isolating her. This will prevent other chickens from picking on her. To help her grow, you can give her plenty of extra, delicious feed. I gave my runts moistened chick feed every day, and they really enjoyed it. Applesauce and scrambled eggs are also good foods to try. Adding probiotcs, electrolytes, and vitamin to the water may also help her grow.

Hope everything turns out well, and keep us updated!

3. five is my dog

Jul 4, 2013
    thank you! she is very beautiful. [​IMG]. i got her from people who had about 70 chicks in one big pen and im pretty sure she was at the bottom of the food chain. i got her to be my future broody. [​IMG]. or at least i hope she will be my future broody. i think between my big chickens and her sisters she wasnt eating the protien filled food and just got the basics. i have wet feed for my flock too they go crazy over it! hopefully she will grow big and strong!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, I have a chicken that has always been at the bottom of the pecking order. I can't really consider him a "runt", but he is smaller than my other cockerels of the same age. I don't think that he'll ever grow as big as the others, but I still love him!

5. five is my dog

Jul 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by