Chick not growing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickcrazyNC, Aug 4, 2014.

1. chickcrazyNC

chickcrazyNC Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2014
    I have a chick that just doesn't seem to be growing. I think it had pasty butt when I got it, but I cleaned it up and have been keeping an eye on it and it's been clean for at least a week. It just seems a little off, hangs it's head a lot, sleeps instead of free ranging with the other chicks, and spends a lot if time under the light. If one if the other chicks bumps into it it will perk up and run around and eat and drink for a bit but loses steam and hangs it's head and falls asleep again. What could be going on? I feel like this chick is going to eventually just die. Is there anything I can do to help it out? The breed is polish tophat and I'm not sure on the age, according to the breeder it's 6 weeks but going by size and feather development I would say no more than 4. I've had it 2 weeks and it hasn't changed much in that time.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I'd try giving him some sugar/electrolyte water. Maybe even some BOB would help........I don't know much about it, but I know it's suppose to help.....
    This is what I've been told about it......
    From their website:

BOB is Biology Optimized for Birds. There were other poultry supplement products on the market that offered a witches brew of probiotic microorganisms aimed at improving gut microflora. BOB takes this technology to the next level by introducing beneficial levels of humic and fulvic acids to the formula.
    Scientific Studies show that humic acid, when added to the diet of poultry, provides a number of beneficial effects:
    • Improved weight gain
    • Improved feed conversion
    • Decreased mortality
    • Improved resistance to pathogens and disease
    For laying hens, scientific studies show additional benefits for humic acid:
    • Improved egg production
    • Increased egg size
    • Improved shell hardness
    Big ole Bird is simply the best in probiotics for chickens.

3. chickcrazyNC

chickcrazyNC Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2014
    OK, thanks. Is the BOB just sold at Tractor Supply?

4. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I'm not sure......you could look. I've only looked online.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by