chick not leaving coop

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jesslynnduran, Aug 1, 2013.

1. jesslynnduran

jesslynnduran Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2013
    I have one chick that has not left the coop today. Now I know my chicks are laying early, does this have something to do with that or are there other complications? I did see a mouse in there yesterday. What should I be looking for?

2. hrhta812

hrhta812 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Lebanon, IN
    I think you are right to be concerned. There are so many things that can be going on, but catching a problem early is the best defense.

I would be worried something is wrong, that it's sick or injured, from what you're describing. Look over the bird carefully to see if you find any wounds - flies can lay eggs in wounds very quickly. If you don't find anything outwardly wrong, check the poop. Reddish can be blood from coccidia.

It's important to know if the bird is eating, drinking and pooping, so if you can keep it separate, in a dog crate or something, so you can monitor it, you'll be able to find out pretty quickly if there is something wrong.

How old is the bird and what type of food are you feeding? I always keep Nutri Drench on hand in case one of mine is feeling puny. Also electrolytes added to the water can be helpful for many problems, just to perk the bird up a bit. Offer scrambled eggs to eat if the bird is not eating its food. Sometimes yogurt can help if its a digestive issue.

This is my go-to treatment if I am not sure what's wrong: http://hencam.com/faq/the-spa-treatment/

1 person likes this.
  3. jesslynnduran

jesslynnduran Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2013
    Thanks for all the input and I will be checking on all the suggestions to make sure my girl stays healthy. PS, she came out of the coop this morning with no problem. I am keeping a close eye on her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by