Chick not looking good

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gagirly, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Gagirly

Gagirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Perry, GA
    I just hatched my first chicks 2 days ago. Everything seemed to go fine. Today, one chick is lying on it's back. It can walk, it just doesn't seem to want to and seems weak. I was thinking dehydration. How can you tell if they've been drinking ?

2. Moonlight Piano

Moonlight Piano Chillin' With My Peeps

If your worried about not drinking, you could always do it yourself. Just gently dip the chicks beak in and out of the water, they should get some water that way. After awhile thet should get the idea and do it themselves. Hope it turns out well [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] .

3. Gagirly

Nov 1, 2011
    Perry, GA
    I'll try that. I'm really worried. It's lying on it's back, breathing hard and occationally chirping really loud. I don't want it to die. [​IMG]

4. Gagirly

Nov 1, 2011
    Perry, GA
    He drank a little.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    You may want to act some electrolytes. However, only time will tell. I hope it makes a good recovery.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It may be dehydrated, but that's not likely the primary problem. You may never know what is. There's quite an article in the sticky in this (Raising Baby Chicks) forum on losing new chicks. I hope he makes it.

One cause of dehydration is high brooder temp; you didn't mention your setup. You need to be sure the brooder is large enough that they can get away from the heat and cool off some if they want to.

7. Gagirly

Nov 1, 2011
    Perry, GA
    The little chick didn't make it. [​IMG] The brooder temp has stayed steady at 90 degrees. There is plenty of room to get out from under the heat. The other chick seems fine. I wish I knew what went wrong. He was running around and seemed fine yesterday.

8. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I'm sorry. [​IMG]

9. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Its just the way it is with baby chicks thats all and its nothing you could have done So Sorry

10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    So sorry for your loss [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by