Chick not pecking - what's wrong

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickeemama, Mar 17, 2011.

1. chickeemama

chickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Iowa
    Chick is now about 4 days old, everyone else is pecking and scratching and acting like chicks. I have one little one that seems to always be looking up, peeping a lot, not growing. I have never seen it eat or drink - I have tryed dipping its beak, but no luck. It has one eye that has been sore looking ever since it hatched, the other eye looks fine.
    Any idea's what this is? What to do?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You know, sometimes they just fail to thrive. They just seem to fade away. You could try giving it some vitamins/electrolites in some water.....maybe with a dropper? Maybe feeding it a little bit of hard boiled egg that is finely chopped......

Good luck with the little chick,
    Sharon

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If it's not eating or drinking at all, you could also try putting drops of sugar water on it's beak. Sometimes they just get very weak when dehydrated and when their blood sugar is low. They just don't have the extra fat storage that an older bird has. Getting some water and calories into it may perk it up enough that it will start eating and drinking on it's own, if it doesn't have other issues.

4. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Good luck! It just needs a little extra attention... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by