Chick not progressing...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wrenheninn, Mar 3, 2009.

1. wrenheninn

wrenheninn Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    I have 12- 2 week old Red Sex Links pullets and they are all developing their wing feathers nicely except for one. She is noticeably smaller than the rest. She seems to bounce around well and be fine, just not as far along as her sisters. Any ideas?

2. kitchwitch

kitchwitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pa
    I had the same problem with one of my Sliver Laced Wyandottes. Unfortunately, she just died a couple days ago. I don't really have any suggestions except vitamins, and make sure she can always get to the food and water.

3. wrenheninn

Feb 23, 2009
    I added a 2nd feeder so there is plenty of room for her to get to the food. She just seems weaker and smaller. Should I seperate her?

4. mommathea

mommathea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    I have one like that also. She's a red-sexlink. The rest have lots of wing feathers and tail feathers, but she is very behind the others in growth. She is slightly smaller than the others but not hugly noticable.
    She does eat and drink and pushes in and gets her fair share of treats.

I was about to post about her. I wondered if there was something wrong. She doesn't act any different than the others, just not as developed.

5. kitchwitch

kitchwitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pa
    I separated mine for 3 days (with another chick) and gave her and her box-mate vitamins, yoghurt and grit (also gave the others grit) in addition to regular food. When I bought crickets for the others I also put a few in sick-chick's box which she and her box-mate gladly ate.

The big reason I separated her is because from the moment I had the chicks, the brooder could not maintain anywhere near 95 degrees. It usually stays around 88 at the warmest and when I noticed that sick chick wasn't thriving I moved her to a much smaller box that stayed between 95-100 degrees. She did well and I put her back and she continued to do well.
    Her death, we believe, was due to dehydration. I worked from 4pm to 12 am then 9 am to 8pm the next day and didn't go home in between. When I left home before going to work I made sure they had water and food but the water ran out before I got home. Everyone else was fine, but poor sick chick had died.

You could always separate her and keep a close eye on her.
    Can I ask where you got your chicks from?

6. wrenheninn

Feb 23, 2009
    I bought them from a local feed store here in Southeastern NC who bought a big batch from Ideal. I lost 2 within the 1st 2 days but have not lost any in the past 10 days.

7. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    I had one EE like that. Acted fine, but was always behind the others in development. She made it and now at almost 13 weeks you would never know the difference. Unless she is acting poor, I would not worry too much. She may just be the runt and take a little longer getting going. It would never hurt to give her her own space for a little while just to see if it would help.[​IMG]

8. wrenheninn

Feb 23, 2009
    I think I will try to seperate her from the rest and give her plenty of food and water and hope she catches up to the rest. They are actually starting to get second row of feathers on their wings and she is barely started the 1st.

9. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:I fed my chicks some crickets when they were about a week old and they just went crazy... it was so funny to see them running around with a cricket in their beak while other chicks chased them trying to get it from them.

On a side note, if you are feeding them crickets I would make sure you give them some grit. I have bearded dragons (a kind of lizard) that I feed crickets too. The exoskeleton (shell) of the cricket is very tough and not easily digested, so some grit might be beneficial to the chicks. My bearded dragons usually have lots of undigestable cricket 'parts' left over in their poo.

I also have a red-sex link that (17 days old) that is growing at a slower rate than the others. Her behavior is different though: not as energetic, often closes her eyes while standing up. Her feather development is on par with the others, but she is (guessing) 30% behind in her growth. I'm keeping an eye on her and also making sure the 'pasty butt' is not returning.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  10. TheRidingLibrarian

TheRidingLibrarian Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    Fellsmere, FL
    Sorry for the hi-jack..but I just got chicks delivered yesterday. Do I put in some grit right now? If not when? They are just on the chick starter right now.
    Thanks,
    Patti

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by