1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chick not seeming to thrive like the others

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eagrbeavr, Apr 2, 2015.

1. eagrbeavr

eagrbeavr Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Im new at this. I have 5 chicks, 10 days old. $ seem to be flourishing. One is slower to grow, its belly doesnt hang down like the others. and she doesnt open her eyes wide. Sleeps a lot. Not as active but she does eat, drink, and scurry off, sometimes. Shes the most docile. She seems to have silky in her and Ive heard they grow slower. I think another does too and shes thriving. Is there electrolytes or something I can give her? Please, I'm looking to hear from veteran growers with solid advice. Nothing personal. I just dont want to guess or assume.

Heres pics of the five. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The one Im concerned with is the first one. The pic of her in the background is deceptive of how her belly looks. Instead of curving down, it curves up. Theyre hineys are clean. Like I said she does eat and drink, but not as much as the others. She sleeps more. Their feed is medicated. I really appreciate the input.

2. eagrbeavr

Never mind. It just died. ****

3. kyexotics

kyexotics Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2014
    Awwwww! I'm so sorry! [​IMG]

Sometimes it goes that way...We have one right now out of a group of 25 that is way smaller than his brothers, very lethargic but hanging on...Will he make it, we hope, but no guarantee, we've seen this many times and it seems to go 50/50...Every chick that died used to kill me, but after, sadly, seeing so many at this point, we realize it's just how it goes...You just have to be thankful for the special time you got to have with them...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  4. eagrbeavr

Aw thank you. I'm ok with it, poor little thing. Hey whataya gonna do. At least she died peacefully and not by some predator. Hopefully there wasnt anything I coulda or shoulda done.

When I took notice that its eyes werent bright, I started thinking there may really be a problem. She ate and drank,so it threw me off. I wrapped her in a paper towel shroud and buried her within a flower garden. I quickly became concerned with stripping the cage of everything and starting fresh. Oh not the birds tho haha. I did call the local feed store and they had a few Buff Orps, the same age even, so I went up to get one. So now I have a multi flock. 4 EEs and an Orp. Happily shes within the group and all is right with their world again.

Thanks again for the condolences.

5. kyexotics

Sep 26, 2014
    Good luck with the new birds!!!!!!!

6. eagrbeavr

Thanks. I got the Orp but now I have another EE going south. I have a cocci problem and need to get Cordil today before I lose her too. Unreal. So much for medicated food and a clean brooder. Turns out its a recipe for them to get sick.Wish I knew this two days ago. I wouldntve lost the first one. Anyhow, have a great holiday, and thanks again :)

7. eagrbeavr

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  8. kyexotics

Sep 26, 2014
    I don't care what those links say, medicated food and a clean brooder are a recipe for SUCCESS...That's our recipe and our survival rate is over 99% after 2-3days(when the weak ones seem to die)...And this is going thru 100s if not a 1000+ chicks a year...We have 4 incubators running 24/7/365 pumping out babies using that recipe...Keep doing what you know is common sense, it'll work...

1 person likes this.
  9. eagrbeavr

Thank you! Well, I have them on corid and she seems to be perking up some. She ate. Hopefully I'll get this turned around. If you were me, anything else you would do? I'm boiling an egg for her now.

10. kyexotics

Sep 26, 2014
    Egg is good and maybe some electrolytes in water, we love babying them!!! You're doing great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by