Chick not standing, help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Morning Dove, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Morning Dove

Morning Dove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    I just hatched 13 chicks yesterday, and one isn't standing up yet, and the other chicks are picking at it's wing, making it bleed. So I cleaned him up and separated him in his own box. What can I do to help him walk? It doesn't look like he's deformed, just not standing up....

Dove

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I don't think you can MAKE him walk. Best would be to make sure she's clean, dry, warm and fed.
    Might just be really worn out from all the hatching work.

I hope she gets up soon!

3. Morning Dove

Oct 13, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    I examined the chick, and the only thing that looks wrong, compared to a normal walking around chick, is that the ankle joint, right where the feathers start are very red and look swollen....... could he or she have broken something in there?

Dove

4. new_chick

new_chick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2008
    sorry i cant help - but i do have a chick that cant stand up - its 2/3 days old now and every time you put it the right way up - it flips backwards onto its back (and when its the right way up it keeps looking upwards) - i dont know what to do - but any advice would be great
    just thought i'd join the post and tr and keep it at the top for you!
    good luck!

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Could be red from being pecked and throwing itself around. They can take a few days to get straightened out. The flipping ones I've had were due to the muscle used to hatch not going away like it should. It keeps the neck stiff and they lean over backward so they fall down every time you set them upright. Most have recovered in a day or 2. You just have to dip their beaks to make sure they stay hydrated and try to get them to eat. The only one I've lost was stuck in it's egg and I found it when cleaning out the bator several days later. It's body was stuck in the position it hatched and it never did manage to stand up straight. Eventually it had breathing problems and died.

6. new_chick

new_chick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2008
    Morning Dove - how's your chick doing?? mine's still not standing - still flipping over!!!!!

7. Morning Dove

Oct 13, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    Quote:Well, I tried this: http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

And
    he's not much better..... I'm worried that he can't get to his food or water. I have not seen him eat, and he's not pooping as much as the other chicks.... Any idea how to hand feed a chick? I was feeding him water yesterday, but I wanted to see how he would do on his own.

Dove

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    You can wet the crumbles or mash and feed it that way. I'd try getting him to peck some held or set in front of him first but if need be you could dilute it to the point it would go through a small syringe.

9. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    It's hard to make a chick eat when the dont want to, and sometimes its for the best that way !! Not that I think we should let chicks suffer but we are responsiable to make sure they arent suffering !! So sorry the spralled leg help didnt work !! yah know somtimes they just arent right and fail to thrive. Wish I could help more, without pics its hard to see the problem !!

10. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    If you can you post pics it would be helpful. Could be a slipped tendon. I had one with this earlier this fall. She would hop around on her 'knees' and they do get swollen. I guess if you catch this early before the swelling its quite easy to slip back in place. When I tried it felt like I was gonna break her leg plus it was late when I figured out what it was. Here's the link to the thread There's some good pics in there too: OK so I don't know how to post a link of a thread in a new post so we'll try this: Baby chick with deformed feet? Update by JanieMarie [ 1 2 3 … 7 ] Incubating & Hatching Eggs 67 10/02/2008 11:15 pm by Possumpoint And here's a link to a site that explains it: http://www.voy.com/194762/ (scroll down to '5 day old chick can't stand or walk') I hope you have good luck with your little one! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by