Chick Not Standing Right

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by she-earl, Feb 19, 2009.

1. she-earl

she-earl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Lancaster County PA
    My order of 30 Barred Rock chicks arrived this morning. I purchased them from Schlecht Hatchery in Iowa. All of them arrived alive including the 3 extras. One of the Barred's is having trouble walking on its feet orrectly. It is basically walking on the whole leg. At this point I have it separate from the others so it doesn't get all walked over. Is it just younger or is it stressed from shipping? It likes if I hold it against me. I have it covered with a rag and my hand and it is content. What can I do to help it along?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you post a pic of the chick?

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Are the toes curled? the toes are curled, make him an orthopedic boot with cardboard and a bandaid. It may also just need vitamins, like polyvisol (with no iron).

4. she-earl

she-earl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Lancaster County PA
    I haven't learned how to post pictures yet. The toes are not curled. It would almost seem like if would be trying to walk on its "knees". It also seems to keep its head on the savings and "flaps" it wings while trying to move around.

5. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Is the leg out to the side, kinda like splits with one leg? Could it be splay leg?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by