Chick not straightening leg- achilles?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jade1, Mar 24, 2012.

1. jade1

jade1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    A day old chick I have (which struggled to get out of the egg) doesn't seem able to straighten it's legs to walk. Apparently the achilles sometimes does this when they struggle to hatch?

It is taking water and has done a poo and seems quite strong. It didn't look happy, so I've put it in a home made 'chick chair'. Can anyone advise?

I've seen that people try moving the achilles back into place by using thumb and forefinger, or by straightening the leg- can someone tell me step by step exactly how to do this? I don't want to distress it more by getting it wrong. I would like to give it a chance though as it seems to be a fighter.

What would be the ideal temperature for it? Is 35 Celsius/90 Fahrenheit ok?

It doesn't seem interested in chick crumb but I will keep offering. Should I try the crumb dry and damp? How often should I offer food?

How often do I need to offer water (I can't leave it with access as I think it would faceplant...)

Any advice gratefully recieved!

2. jade1

jade1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    Anyone? Any advice appreciated...

3. brandislee

brandislee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    I don't know what to do if it is the achilles from the hatch, but I had several broiler chicks last summer who couldn't straighten their legs, and it was vitamin deficiency. For them they kind of keeled forward, although it was more not being able to straighten the toes than the legs. So maybe try some vitasol without iron (baby vit. drops, found in any pharmacy). I believe you give the chick one drop twice a day by hand. I also started giving the water vites AND nutritional yeast, because my problem was wide spread, but sometimes it does just happen to one or two chicks.

Hope that helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by