1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick not thriving...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wingedpanda, Feb 20, 2011.

1. wingedpanda

wingedpanda New Egg

Feb 20, 2011
    Ive got a 2-3 day old barred rock chick that is not doing well. Lethargic, a little uncoordinated, peeps constantly. [​IMG] Baby is not eating - drinking, but not eating. Poops normally. It is smaller than the others, so I have her separated in the brooder so she doesn't get trampled.

I've been hand-feeding it a mix of egg yolk and sugar water in a syringe - tried to hand feed it some crumbles soaked into a mush, but baby was not interested. Not sure whether I should continue feeding it the way I am, or just let it go?? [​IMG] I know a lot of these just don't make it, but any advice would be appreciated.

If I should keep feeding her, how often and how much?

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    [​IMG] Sorry I don't know how to answer this for you. Hopefully someone else can. I can only say that sometimes chicks don't make it. [​IMG]

This is probably not a good time but [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  3. wingedpanda

wingedpanda New Egg

Feb 20, 2011
    Thanks - I've been lurking here for a while, but as these are my first chicks and I just got them, I didn't have a reason to post yet...

Poor baby chick, I feel bad.

4. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I cannot tell you what to do with the chick but a well known old time breeder/geneticist/poultryman told me once "cull all sneezers snifflers and coughers" it sounds cruel but in the long run you will have healthier stock.

5. wingedpanda

wingedpanda New Egg

Feb 20, 2011
    Thanks - the chick is gone. [​IMG] She was fed and warm, just not for this world, I guess.

6. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Sorry about the chick, sometimes things that happen in the incubator can kill up to 2 weeks after the hatch, you did your best:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by