Chick not using one leg - ******PHOTOS ADDED, please look & help******

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crispyminstral, Jul 21, 2011.

1. crispyminstral

crispyminstral New Egg

Jul 21, 2011
    I had a Belgian Bantam chick hatch earlier this afternoon, the first of 10 fertile eggs in my new incubator (1 more has since hatched, 3 more have pipped) I looked in earlier and it appeared to be hobbling and I quickly and gently picked it up, as I thought there was a dried piece of membrane round the hock, preventing the chick from placing its foot down, but on closer examination, there was nothing visible preventing the foot from being placed down. The chick is holding the leg underneath itself - it hasn't splayed to the side - but it is resting more on the hock and not using the foot which appears normal too. The other leg/foot is fine.

I will let it recover from it's busy day today,the try and get some photos tomorrow, but if there is anything I can do for it then please post details here as it is a bright and strong little thing - and rather noisy too!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    I'm sorry your little chick isn't doing well at the moment. [​IMG] Seeing the pictures in the morning will be a big help. Maybe she hurt herself getting out of the egg if she is holding the leg/foot against her body?

I hope that she improves by the time you go to take the pictures in the morning.

3. crispyminstral

crispyminstral New Egg

Jul 21, 2011
    OK so here are some pics I took this morning. As you can see, the little guy is resting on his hock, which looks slightly larger than the other one and the foot is slightly turned inwards. Also if you turn him on his back, he stretches and kicks out with the good, but the poorly leg doesn't do so much although it does have some degree of movement in it and isn't stuck in that position. Any help or advice greatly received as I am quite worried about the little chap and he is so happy and strong in himself it seems a shame if nothing can be done [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Alexander

Alexander Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Greece
    I had a poult that was not as bad as that but it was walking funny.

After a week it died.

Sorry but I am not really optimistic for this chick. [​IMG]

Good luck though.

5. CherryChick

CherryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Indiana
    I had a chick kinda like that she ended up havine splayed leg just not as severe. But she didn't want to walk she would just drag herself to the food and water. We fixed her up and she is doing fine. [​IMG]
    Also had one that had crooked toes when we got him. That is fixable too.
    I'm not sure if that is what you little guy has but whatever it is I hope he/she gets better soon [​IMG]

Edit: The one picture of the chick standing is kinda dark. Does both of her feet look the same? Flat looking or is the foot curled at all?

6. crispyminstral

crispyminstral New Egg

Jul 21, 2011
    Toes are curled, leg is now straightened and in a cast, the chick in a chick chair under a heat lamp. Going to put a shoe on him later and give him all the chances I can [​IMG]

7. CherryChick

CherryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Indiana
    Sounds like you are giving him a great chance!
    How is the little guy doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by