Chick not walking with swollen belly

Eva Gross

Hatching
Jun 8, 2020
Hello! 2 days ago I hatched chicks from eggs. The only one that hatched (I had only 2 eggs) was attacked yesterday by our cat, because I left the door open. Now, the chick is not eating or drinking, and has a tendency to just lie down. She was doing this the first day to, but I also didn't notice if she ate or drank on that day. The third day the chick couldn't walk, thanks to its belly. on the second day I also had fed it water with electro lights and food without added vitamins. whenever I give it water, it starts to open and close its beak slowly, over and over again. sometimes a bubble forms. with the food, I mix it with the water and place the paste like substance in her mouth, and then she stars to peak my finger, which is coded in the substance. most of the time, her eyes remain closed, too. What can I do to help?
today I am going to try covering her belly with salt water. Will that help?

Do you have the chick in a brooder under a heat source? It needs to be fed electrolyte water for a couple of days, then plain water every hour or so. Feed often as well. Baby chicks are very delicate, and can be injured easily. Hopefully, it will survive. Are you getting more chicks to be with it?

Hello! 2 days ago I hatched chicks from eggs. The only one that hatched (I had only 2 eggs) was attacked yesterday by our cat, because I left the door open. Now, the chick is not eating or drinking, and has a tendency to just lie down. She was doing this the first day to, but I also didn't notice if she ate or drank on that day. The third day the chick couldn't walk, thanks to its belly. on the second day I also had fed it water with electro lights and food without added vitamins. whenever I give it water, it starts to open and close its beak slowly, over and over again. sometimes a bubble forms. with the food, I mix it with the water and place the paste like substance in her mouth, and then she stars to peak my finger, which is coded in the substance. most of the time, her eyes remain closed, too. What can I do to help?
today I am going to try covering her belly with salt water. Will that help?
Couple of questions - what is wrong with her belly? Was it swollen prior to the attack?
Have you checked it over for any wounds?
Chickens like humans can go into shock following an attack. Warmth, a mash such as you have made and time will help but I'm wondering if she has internal injuries?
@aart @Eggcessive

Couple of questions - what is wrong with her belly? Was it swollen prior to the attack?
Have you checked it over for any wounds?
Chickens like humans can go into shock following an attack. Warmth, a mash such as you have made and time will help but I'm wondering if she has internal injuries?
@aart @Eggcessive
I am not seeing and wounds, and I never noticed that it was swollen before my daughter pointed it out. On day 2 it also seemed to favor a certain foot, and had balance issues on hard surfaces. This was after the attack

Do you have the chick in a brooder under a heat source? It needs to be fed electrolyte water for a couple of days, then plain water every hour or so. Feed often as well. Baby chicks are very delicate, and can be injured easily. Hopefully, it will survive. Are you getting more chicks to be with it?
She is in a box with hay and newspaper on the floor, a water source and a food source that we used to rase our last batch of chickens. she is under a heat lamp, around 95 to 100 degrees. I got 3 more eggs that will hatch on the 18 of June.

The chick has started to throw up in her mouth slightly, producing a mucus like paste that I am trying to remove as soon as I notice she has it.

I also had fed it water with electro lights and food without added vitamins. whenever I give it water, it starts to open and close its beak slowly, over and over again. sometimes a bubble forms.
Did it drink on it's own....or?
Did it swallow the food?
Is it pooping?

Did it drink on it's own....or?
Did it swallow the food?
Is it pooping?
This is when I am putting water on its beak, and it looked like it swallowed the food. Yes, it is pooping. the first one was green, and then they became clear, with a clump of white, and then we had one slightly bloody poop, and I have not seen any other poops since. Looking at the butt, the bloody one might have dried on its body, so I am going to warm a cloth and try to clean it.

Back
Top Bottom