1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick of the moment, is it a he or a she?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gambit2178, Nov 19, 2011.

1. gambit2178

gambit2178 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    CALI
    Ok...my little one is all healed. She is one spoiled baby but now I wonder is it a little Hen or a Little Rooster. It is 3 months old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Obyli

Obyli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    California Torrance
    Its hard to tell. Mine are 7 months old and i still have trouble telling. No cowing yet.
    Just to give u hope, its a hen XD < Lucky guess!

3. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Ha ha... I havent a clue what mine is either [​IMG]. Waiting for it lay an egg or crow.. Good look...x

4. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    I can't really tell [​IMG]

5. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    The poof on the head looks rooish... Like mine.. Mine was a roo. I've heard if it looks more poofy and round it might be a female, compared so more slicked back its a male..

[​IMG]

6. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I'm going to say rooster because of the crest. It's swept back and exposes the comb which I think is a sign of a rooster. With my little girl's crest you couldnt see her comb or eyes!

Here is a picture of my girl I used to have at 4 months old.

[​IMG]

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    1st pic looks like it has streamers coming from its poof which would make it a roo. at this age its hackles should eaither be rounded for a hen or pointed for a roo, my advice is to take some sort of cloth like a black or red color and take a few of those neck feathers (hackles) and place them on that it has helped several people figure out what sex their silkies were.

8. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    My thought is female. The crest is covering the eyes and i dont see any comb growth..

9. gambit2178

gambit2178 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    CALI
    Thank you everyone for your replies. Just a bit more of information. Her crest is messed up due to an attack from my Brahmas that almost cost this little one it's life. A month later and finally the wound has healed and new feather are coming out.
    This is what it look like before the accident...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And after the accident
    [​IMG]

10. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    i hink girl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by