Chick - only child?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lcountry, Jun 21, 2007.

1. lcountry

lcountry Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    I've got six silkie eggs in the incubator - day 12. Last night I candled and I KNOW that there is one good egg. I KNOW that there is one definitely bad egg. However, there are a couple that I'm just not so sure about.

If only one egg hatches out of the batch, can a chick survive as an only child? Or should I try to buy a couple new babies to go with her? If so, anyone near Texas with babies hatching next week?

Hopefully, we'll get at least three. I feel bad that I might have such a low hatch rate. I think I've done everything "by the book", and I'm not sure what has gone wrong. I just wish I was more experienced. Still hoping though...

2. cheepchicks

cheepchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Indiana
    I have one little guinea keet. I added a mirror and it plays and plays with the "other keet".

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I would get at least one little friend, if you can. I'm sorry that you aren't having more success with this hatch, but I think it's wonderful that you're thinking about this ahead of time. I hope you have luck finding another chick, of a similar age.

4. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, i hope you hatch some more out, my last bator hatch was really hard to determine but 3 hatched!
    Im into broody hen methods now!
    Anyhow it would be great if you can get a day old same breed as a friend when the day comes.
    I like to see all creatures in pairs at least, they dont thrive on their own in my opinion.
    Good luck you will be fine!

5. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    My advice would get another newborn chick if you can. Buffy's little solo chick is now 6 or 7 weeks old now and was for a time Buffy's little spoiled boy and now she is weaning him, buy chasing him off and such. Poor little guy(?) has no friends his own age to pal around with and the other baby chicks are too small and still with their suragote Moms. The other adult hens don't care much.

6. lcountry

May 11, 2007
    Thanks for the kind words. I've still got hope and have my fingers crossed. The eggs that I can tell more certainly are the lightest colored ones. The others are more of a pale, creamy tan and I just can't tell for sure.

My kids and I have SO looked forward to little silkie babies. Guess we'll find out soon. In the meanwhile, I'm going to look around for some soon to be hatched "adoptable" babies.

7. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats a great idea, just have some as backup if needed. or get some anyway perhaps! to mix your lines.
    I love baby silkies, they are soooo cute.
    have fun and let us know what happens.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, I'd try to get another one. Else this one chick will cry every time he cannot see you. It won't let you sleep outside of it's presence. I've had only chicks, they grew up fine, just needed. One thing thoug h is that they never got along the best with the flock and are generally a bit less "bird smart" in how they need to be to avoid danger.

9. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Hey I did the same thing for my little RIR .she loved the mirror......I got more.still left it in there............

10. lcountry

May 11, 2007
    The mirror sounds like it would have been adorable to see. Good idea, if I end up with a singleton. I'm glad to know that in the even of just getting one, it can be raised ok.

Still looking for hatching silkies nearby. And, bantymum, it would be fun to have another line in there to mix. Good rationale for buying more, regardless! [​IMG]

I'll definitely post an update on hatching day. Wish us all luck and wish me luck finding some to "adopt"!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by