Chick only eats out of my hand

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lank, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Lank

Lank Hatching

Oct 22, 2019
    I have a chick that only eats food out of my hand. He never eats out of the feeder in the brooder, but when I take that same food and hold it in my hand, he gobbles it up. How do I break this habit?

slordaz likes this.
  2. slordaz

slordaz hatchaholic

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    First off how old is the chick?
    it may have gotten trampled and lowering it's head hurts. could be some nutritional deficiency of the parents any number of things.

I would try hanging the feeder up off the ground for them a bit, and not hand feeding it so see who it does with that first.

I would also add some vitamins to their water to give them a bit of a boost just in case was a nutritional deficiency in the parent stock.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    Duck_life likes this.
  3. Lank

Lank Hatching

Oct 22, 2019
    6 days old.
    I know it wasn’t trampled because it was leftover from a lab and only hatched with one other chick that couldn’t walk until a few days ago.

I’ve already been adding Apple cider vinegar to its water, but I’ll try elevating the feeder.

Duck_life and slordaz like this.
  4. slordaz

slordaz hatchaholic

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    most likely deficiency in the parent stock then, would recommend adding D-vi-sol without iron and B complex, they come in liquid in the baby vitamins section to their water

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: