Chickpeanut

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2022
Hello everyone,
We bought home chicks about a month ago, they have been well since then but lately one is acting sick. It is about 2-3 months old.
It has been repeatedly opening its mouth wide open (as if gasping for air) and also having sudden spurts of movement.
Can anyone please advise me what to do and what could be the possible reasons? I think it could be gapeworm but I'm not really sure. Either this or they must have eaten something wrong.
They usually have cooked rice, corn, and vegetables (not seeds because they don't prefer it, and we ran out of it recently).
It's also about 26 degree Celsius here.
Since we're new at raising chicks, we don't have much idea of what's going on. Any suggestions are welcome.

Click here for: Video of sick chick
Click here for: Video of the sick chick

Could you please post your video on You Tube, copy the link, and paste it here. Then we can all view the videos here.

Are you chicks still under heat? Have you made grit available to the chicks?

It's poop is watery, mostly because it hasn't had any food in a long time
He is refusing to eat or drink. And he seems extremely weak now, barely able to stand.
Yes, they are exposed to grit, we usually leave them in the veranda in the mornings when its warmer and get them back into their house by afternoon (it gets a little chilly/windy then since it's winter here).
I tried to check it's mouth but everything seems clear.

Here are the links as requested:

Have you inspected the chick's ears and throat? Get someone to help hold the chick, pry open the beak and shine a flashlight into the throat. It should be pink and clean. Shine the light inside the ears after flicking back the ear flap. They should be clean and clear, no crusty buildup.

That little mid-air pirouette and flapping preceded by head shaking has me suspecting an ear/throat infection or obstruction.

It has been repeatedly opening its mouth wide open (as if gasping for air) and also having sudden spurts of movement.
Yes, it is gasping for air and just like mentioned by others above, there seems to be something stuck in the throat/wind pipe, hence the sudden movements trying to get it out.

Where in this world are you located? Is a vet an option who could use an endoscopic tool to look further down the throat and eventually get the obstruction out?

On another note:

They usually have cooked rice, corn, and vegetables (not seeds because they don't prefer it, and we ran out of it recently).
This diet is lacking in (animal) protein and should be enhanced to provide at least 18% protein for young chicks to allow proper development. And please, get some poultry vitamins as well to add to their drinking water.

Thank you so much for the advice and help. I appreciate it.
There actually aren't many vets (especially for birds) where I'm located.

Unfortunately, the chick passed away today morning. RIP.

This diet is lacking in (animal) protein and should be enhanced to provide at least 18% protein for young chicks to allow proper development. And please, get some poultry vitamins as well to add to their drinking water.
Thanks for the info, we'll definitely check it out.

Back
Top Bottom