chick or chicken with bloody stools

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BikerBabeRules, Jun 21, 2008.

1. BikerBabeRules

BikerBabeRules Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    I have some month old chicks and some 2 month old chicks mixed together. Someone has bloody stools, I noticed this morning. I have no idea who. Everyone looks healthy and is accounted for. What should I do at this point? I have no idea what could be causing this.
    Thanks,
    Kathy

2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    One of our chicks with a bloody stool was acting strange, so we took the poop to a vet to have it tested for cocci. It turned out there WAS cocci, so we treated them with Sulmet and then got them some medicated feed. Maybe my mom, SeaChick, can help you out more. Good Luck!

3. BikerBabeRules

Feb 13, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    Thanks, someone else said the same thing. I'm going to get some Sulmet now.

4. BikerBabeRules

Feb 13, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    Nobody anywhere has the Sulmet....is there another alternative? I can order some but it's Saturday noon and will take few days to receive.

5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Corrid is amprolium which is also a cocci med... if no one has that go ahead and order the sulmet.
    do you have these birds free ranging? I ask because cappillaria (worms) can also cause bloody stools.

6. BikerBabeRules

Feb 13, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    yes, they do free range. I couldn't find either of those meds and I switched back to the medicated chick starter and have not seen bloody stools since. I'll keep my eyes peeled and watch closely. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by