Chick or Treat

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CupOJoe42, Jul 14, 2011.

1. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    I have 5 Quail D'Anver chicks that are about 2 weeks old and eating chick crumbles. They love to be held and petted and fly up onto my arm whenever I lift up the lid to the brooder (all five at once!) I have tried different treats with them (yogurt, applesauce, chopped strawberry, dried meal worms, lettuce) and they are terrified of pretty much anything "new or strange" (except for people.) I even hung a "baby chick cake" in the brooder and they haven't touched it. They finally ate the dried meal worms when they were mixed in with some pine shavings and they had to forage for them. Silly chicks!

So what I want to know is: Do they need grit if they are eating the dried mealworms? What about the baby chick cake? Should I just leave it hanging in there and let them get used to it? Do I need a special grit for chicks? At what age can I give them BOSS? I assume that I don't have to de-shell the seeds. Will they need to have grit with it? Is there anything else I should try? Are they just too young and I'm rushing things, or are they just finicky?

2. crazygoatlady915

crazygoatlady915 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Idaho
    I think that they will be ok- most chick starters have a 'grit' in them, but if they seem weak or letharic, put in a container with a bit of play sand. I know that mine never needed it, but many do.

3. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    Chick starters DO NOT have grit in them! They will need an outside source if they are getting treats. A bit of small sand will do for now, I use playground sand from my kids sandbox for their grit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by