1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chick orphan

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dustyjj, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Dustyjj

Dustyjj New Egg

Jul 2, 2007
    Hi,
    First let me say this is my first post and my first chick..
    We found a baby chick in the middle of the road the other nite. He was huddled up next to his two squashed siblings. I’m not sure how old he/she is, just getting wing feathers. It’s eating fine and drinking fine. My question is – Does anyone know where I can get another chick or two to keep him company. I can’t find any place on line that is willing to ship just a few chicks without very expensive shipping. We moved to East TN a year ago and planned to get chickens but we are not set up at this time for 20 or 30 chicks. This guy really needs other chicks, he thinks I’m Momma and I just don’t have hours and hours each day to spend with him.
    Thanks for your help on this.
    Dusty
    P S – I know this may seem like a silly concern but this is my very first chick and I feel bad for him.

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi Dusty-
    For now, give him a mirror and stuffed toy to cuddle with. Hopefully someone on this forum lives near you and can adopt him or give you a pal. You don't need to get 20 or 30... One or two would be just fine.

3. Mulemom

Mulemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    Hi Dusty,

Try your local feed stores. I'm in CA but all the feed stores around here have chicks now. Good luck and good deed picking him up!

4. greenacre

greenacre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2007
    South Eastern Michigan
    You can order a minimum of 3 chicks at www.mypetchicken.com. The shipping does cost more than the actual chicks, but then you get to pick exactly which ones you want. I ordered from there about 4 weeks ago and our girls are doing really well!

5. Dustyjj

Dustyjj New Egg

Jul 2, 2007
    Thanks so much you guys!
    For now the mirror and snuggly thing is working pretty well.
    We learned that there is a flea market about 25 miles away that has baby chicks. We are going to check it out this Sunday.
    Thanks again,
    Dusty

6. Mulemom

Mulemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    Let us know what you come home with! post pics!

7. Dustyjj

Dustyjj New Egg

Jul 2, 2007
    Up-date
    Hi All!
    Just wanted to let you all know we went to the flea market and they did have chicks. Road Island Reds, we got three of them. At first our chick didn’t want to have anything to do with them, but by the end of the day he/she had decided that the new chicks weren’t that bad. At night they stay down in my glass studio and by day they are outside in a small enclosed area my husband made for them. Our chick loves it outside (I use to take him out three or four times a day for exercise and to look for bugs) but the other chicks aren’t too sure about it. I was surprised there is such a big difference in chicks that spent time with their Mom (no matter how short) and ones that never did. Our chick just loves to hunt and eat bugs, the other three don’t even know what a bug is much less eat it! I took pictures but couldn’t figure out how to post them?
    Thanks again for your help!
    Dusty

8. raznboersnkids

raznboersnkids Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2007
    Holly Ridge
    Im glad you found some friends for the little guy!

9. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:If you upload them to a site such as www.photobucket.com it will give you an image code to copy and paste in your post, don't know if that helps or not.

10. Dustyjj

Dustyjj New Egg

Jul 2, 2007
    Thanks Sara.. lets see what this looks like.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by