1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick out of the shell too soon ....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Pixijayne, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Pixijayne

Pixijayne Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2015
    Hi ...

I posted over in the emergencies and help forum and it was suggested I come over here ...

Here is a link to the original thread:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1038080/chick-out-of-the-egg-too-soon#post_16020359

I have a chick that I think was in a cold rejected egg and my young son let curiosity get the better of him and he opened it. Consequently he came running in with a live very cold not yet ready to hatch chick.

My mamma hen had hatched out 12 or more chicks in the 12 hrs and rejected these last 3 eggs.

I have put the chick in a ziplock bag (cut away) so it can breath but trying to keep it moist ....

There was an amount of egg sack not absorbed and a small amount of bleeding. The chick has lasted 15hrs now (over night) and is kicking and cheerping strongly but is now i think too moist.

I am worried about infection with all the moisture and that the egg sack maybe better off in a dry environment.

I am trying to keep it at around 37C but its a challenge, as I am not really set up for it, Im using make-shift warming devices.

I took this pic about 3 hrs ago;
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  2. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    @AmyLynn2374

3. caesargirl

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    @casportpony

4. caesargirl

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    @Amiga can you help or have any tags?

5. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ive never had one live through it. Good luck

6. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Obviously you don't have an incubator, right? Please wait for others to reply. I think since its been so long that you can tie the yolk off but honestly I'm not sure. Just here for moral support. :hugs
    What about the other 2 eggs?

7. Pixijayne

Jun 13, 2015
    I was trying to save the other 2 eggs but I wasnt able to keep the temp stable so I thought best to just let them cool. We didnt plan this clutch and I already have 18 hens (and one roo) hubby thinks we have 6 or so chickens ... Shhhhhhhhhhhhh ..........

I just cut opened the ziplock bag a bit, as it was starting to get a smell ... the egg sack connection point looks too wide / deep for me to figure how to tie it off ....

8. Pixijayne

Jun 13, 2015
    Im starting to think the eggs sack is getting biger not smaller ... or is not just eggs sack but inside bits and pieces - it that possible ?

I have just taken 2 pics ... one is zoomed in:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @Lacrystol are you around?

@Orca5094

@WVduckchick

10. caesargirl

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    I hatch ducks. I don't hatch chickens. In your position I would get it out of the bag. Bacitracin with no painkillers that sac. Put a moist paper towel square pad over sac. When I do this I secure it with surgical tape belt. Painters tape works, masking tape. You need to put pressure on that sac. Baby needs to be upright in a slight fetal position. Surround with a dry paper towel/ wash cloth. Put in a cup/coffee mug small Tupperware.... Wrap in heating pad, put under a desk light, needs warmth. [​IMG]
    Search on BYC for duck in a cup.
    Until someone else jumps in with chick advice, that's what I'd do.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by