Chick pain med suggestions?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LinaNate, Feb 5, 2015.

1. LinaNate

LinaNate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Southern Illinois
    Gah! My shipped bantam silkie eggs hatched, had 5 happy chicks and a kitten got in the brooder and bit the back of a chick. It appears to just be a flesh wound. I bandaged it up and it's resting and probably hurting like mad. Ideas for how I can help?

2. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    I've given 1/4 of a baby aspirin to a prolapsed hen, but for a chick, dosage would really have to be tiny to not risk side effects. Lidocane used externally should be safe, vets use it on other animals but I didn't find any reference to avian usage.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/lidocaine-hcl-2.html
    Dosage: Dogs and Cats: 1 ml/4.5 kg
    What does the chick weigh, a couple ounces? So maybe 1/100th of a ml. If you can measure that small!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would not use anything containing lidocaine or benzocaine on chickens, especially a chick, since those can be toxic in large amounts. I would clean the wound with betadine, and watch for any pecking by others. Separate for a short period with a little fence in the brooder if he gets picked on.

1 person likes this.
  4. LinaNate

LinaNate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Southern Illinois
    It's doing wonderful this morning, it was just a flesh wound!
    [​IMG]

I didn't give anything because I wasn't 100% sure about anything. Just wrapped it up with pressure to stop the bleeding and let the poor thing rest and be warm. It's acting totally normal this morning. I removed the bandage and put some antibiotic cream on the scab. Such a lucky/ strong chick!

5. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I'm happy to hear lil chick is doing fine. My suggestion to you is to get some better cats. I have many. No trade ins taken. =D

6. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    MY suggestion is to watch your cats! Our single cat--all the others have been taken by coywolves--would LOVE to eat one of those "fuzzy eggs", as he calls them. He wouldn't mess with an adult hen or rooster. You can make a good separator with wood and hardware cloth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by