1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick panting in 92 degree brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blessedmamato3, Jul 17, 2011.

1. blessedmamato3

blessedmamato3 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Ok, I'm a bit confused...a couple of my chicks are panting, but it's only 92 in the brooder and they have plenty of water. Aren't they supposed to be kept around 95? They are 3 days old. We're in TX, so it stays hot at night, so they aren't under a light or anything.

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

if they have room to move away from the heat source and still panting, it just might be to Hot, I don't know if humidity is a factor hopefully some one will be along soon, of more help...I would at 3 days try a little under 90 and watch them maybe find a bit cooler place. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

95 degrees is "by the book".. unfortunately .. most chickens never bothered to read "the book"

if they are panting try to use a smaller wattage bulb or raise the heat source a bit..

I'm in Texas too and I have two lights on my brooders.. one is one of the spiral type (lowest wattage walmart had) florescent for just light during the day.. the other is a regular 40 watt bulb.. if the chicks pant i turn off their 40 watt and turn on the florescent so they can still see to eat.. since the house retains a lot of heat if they are panting at bedtime I make sure their light is off for the night.. i have insomnia so i am awake several times a night.. and i check them then.. if they are huddled together they get their heat turned back on

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:Right!!! Best advice is to stop reading a thermometer that may be giving you bad feedback, depending on where it is placed, and rely much more upon the chicks themselves. Cool the temps by raising the lamp, using less wattage until the temps drop to point they seem almost on the cool side and cuddle up with each other. A little cuddling is a good thing. That temperature, the cuddle point, is superior to having them stressed by excessive heat.

Brooders should have a warm spot, but should also have lots of room for them to go to cool places. Hard to do in the summer heat.

5. cuntryuppiechick

cuntryuppiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I am in Texas too and have kept my babies at lower temps than suggested and they were fine. When I did get up to the 'correct' temp they all went as far from the light as possible and wouldn't leave the corner. I think it may be a humidity factor. My last hatch, they are 3 weeks, I didn't use a light at all except for one or two chilly nights.

6. misty51

misty51 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    Gainesville
    Yes they are to hot. Better to have the chicks on the cool side because being to hot will kill them. I learned the hard way. Also make sure they are drinking water they get dehydrated very easily, maybe even some eletrolytes to give them a boost.

7. BeetleChick

BeetleChick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    East of Raleigh, NC
    Our chickens never liked the book temperatures either, they preferred about 5-10 degrees cooler. They're 14 weeks old and doing fine.

8. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

I am a by-the-book person, so back in March when I got my first 6 chicks, I had the brooder heated to exactly 95 degrees. Within five minutes the chicks had their wings spread and were panting. I had to keep raising the heat lamp until directly under the light was 89 degrees and they still stayed on the other side of the box most of the time. I quickly ignored the 'book' and let the chicks tell me what they needed in the way of warmth.

The recommendation of 95 degrees the first week and reducing it five degrees a week is a one-size-fits-all range, when there is a lot of difference between large heritage breeds, bantams and even silkies.

9. blessedmamato3

Jul 11, 2011
    Hi all,

I don't use a lamp. The temp hasn't gotten below 90 at night. Should I direct a box fan to blow over the top of the brooder (but not on them) or what's the best way to keep them cooler?

10. blessedmamato3

Jul 11, 2011
    Anyone?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by