Chick panting

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FRlEDeggs, Jul 17, 2010.

1. FRlEDeggs

FRlEDeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Whenever I hold my 6 1/2 week BA, or sometimes just when she feels like it, she starts to pant. Is this a sign of an impacted crop? Or is she just hot? I've urged her to drink but she won't unless she wants to [​IMG] Please help

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  2. Chickiemama1010

Chickiemama1010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Sullivan
    mine pant too, especially my BAs. I think its because they are black, and they get hotter faster in the afternoon sun. My other breeds pant too when its really hot. i would not worry about it. Just be sure to keep the H2O available, and fresh. If you are very concerned about heat, dehydration etc, offer her some watermelon. She wont say no to that! And it has lots of water in it for good hydration, plus it is really refreshing for them on a hot day, nice and cool from the fridge. My girls will eat a chunk of melon to the point the rind is transparent. They love it just as much as we do as a delightful summer treat. I think if shes pooping, eating and drinking, and not showing any other signs of distress (weak, lethargic, losing feathers, gasping, etc) shes just fine. It is mid july...in most places its pretty hot.

3. Chickiemama1010

Chickiemama1010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Sullivan
    PS: I assume they are outdoors? or at least in the july heat you dont have a heat lamp on them 24/7 at this point?

4. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    "Whenever I hold my 6 1/2 week BA"

My little brahmas do the same thing when my granddaughter holds them....I think it's a combination of being a little nervous & the heat. [​IMG]

5. FRlEDeggs

FRlEDeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    THanks for the advice everyone! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by